- l Although the World Wide Web is often referred to as the internet, the two are not the same thing. The internet is a huge network of networks that links computers together all over the world using a range of wires and wireless technologies. The World Wide Web is the collection of linked pages that are accessed using the internet and a web browser.
- l Website addresses such as http://www.sciencekids.co.nz are known by the term Uniform Resource Locater (URL).
- l As well as the World Wide Web, the internet is used for such application as email, file sharing, online chat, phone and video calls, online gaming and more.
- l Thanks to the increasing accessibility of the internet, the popularity of the web has exploded over the last 10 years. The web is now used for a number of different purposes including online shopping, social networking, games, news, travel information, business, advertising and much more.
- l Social networking websites such as Facebook and Twitter have become popular over the last few years. People now spend a large amount of their time online keeping in touch with each other through these applications and services.
- l Security and privacy concerns have always been a problem on the internet with many people often unaware of the potential risks they take when inputting confidential data, passwords and personal information into various websites.