I will rule till God says come: Mugabe

President Robert Mugabe yesterday launched a tirade against critics who say he has overstayed in power, vowing to hang on to power until he dies.

EVERSON MUSHAVA

Mugabe became AU chairperson in January 2015 amid pomp and fanfare, but local analysts and opposition groups say his term was a disaster.

In his hour-long speech, the soon to be 92-year-old leader said he would lead Zimbabwe until God called him.

mugabe-chairman

“I will be there until God says come, but as long as am alive I will head the country, forward ever, backward never,” he said.

Mugabe said those who were saying he must hand over power to others were not democratic. He said such calls were emanating from Europe.

President Mugabe who was preceded on the podium by UN secretary-general Ban Ki-moon and the chairperson of the AU Commission Nkosazana Dlamini Zuma was cheered wildly as he took a pot shot at United States President Barack Obama.

“There is Obama today. What is he? A voice made to speak their language, not our language,” he charged.

“Blacks suffer in the US today, there is no education for all, health for all.’’

Mugabe had stumbled lightly before he reached the podium. The Zimbabwean leader has been in power since independence in 1980.

Meanwhile, MDC-T spokesperson Obert Gutu said Zimbabweans should be relieved that Mugabe’s tenure as AU chair had ended.

“Mugabe’s tenure of office didn’t bring any positive results to Zimbabwe in particular and Africa in general,” he said.

“For instance, the hot political spots in Africa such as Burundi, Somalia, Libya and the DRC are still in turmoil.

“Mugabe didn’t do anything meaningful and tangible to resolve the various political problems in these troubled African countries.

“He was just hoping from one plane onto another in 2015 as the African political hot spots continued to burn.”

Gutu said Mugabe has never been known to be an astute diplomat and trouble-shooter, but a talkative leader with less action.

“As for Zimbabwe, Mugabe was basically an absentee president in 2015 as he was always travelling,” he said.

“He travelled out of Zimbabwe a record 44 times, gobbling more than $60 million from the bankrupt national Treasury in the process, while the Zimbabwean economy remains in a comatose condition.”

People’s Democratic Party (PDP) international relations secretary, Willas Madzimure, said Mugabe was virtually “folding his hands while Zimbabwe and Africa burns” during his tenure.

He described him as the worst AU chair Africa ever had.

“His [Mugabe] report card as AU chair shows that Africa continues to be ravaged by wars, terror attacks, coups, food shortages, droughts, diseases, HIV and Aids, Ebola, corruption, human and child trafficking, child labour; and high unemployment while he and his continental henchmen stood akimbo,” Madzimure said.

He said Mugabe failed to provide political leadership to the continent, leaving most African problems unresolved and exploding into full-scale conflicts.

Serious problems are rife in South Sudan, Mali and Burkina Faso where General Gilbert Diendere staged a coup on September 16 2015.

In Burundi, another genocide is almost unfolding under Mugabe’s tenure after Pierre Nkurunzinza bulldozed himself to a third presidential term.

There is also growing insecurity on the continent with the rise of terror groups such as Boko Haram, Al Qaeda and ISIL in East, West and Northern Africa. This has forced many Africans to flee to Europe, with some perishing at sea.

“To all these heinous acts, the continental leader seemed to turn a blind eye, maybe realising he has often relied on the same tactics to extend his rule.

“Mugabe maintained his deafening silence on these tragic incidences,” Madzimure said.

During his tenure, Mugabe traversed the globe for presidential inaugurations and attended international conferences, but remained mum on the challenges some African countries were facing.

Additional reporting by Africa Review.

24 Responses to I will rule till God says come: Mugabe

1. Tiger Shona January 31, 2016 at 8:38 am #

He cannot retire. He does not trust anyone else and if the opposition comes to power, he will be prosecuted for all the crimes he committed.

2. Chokwadi Hachigumbure January 31, 2016 at 10:25 am #

So what if he says so? Who knows when he is going to die? Or whether he will win the next election or not? It’s absolute rubbish!

And on Gutu, I was hoping to read that the old man was the one who engineered the Ebola Virus and sparked the wars around the continent…! His personal opinion fuelled by hate are irrelevant to Zimbabwe’s chairing the AU. I don’t even see how he (Gutu) himself would have solved the problems bedeviling Africa right had he been the one in the hot sit!

The President himself has received considerable recognition across Africa for his ideas during this particular tenure.

3. TruthBTold January 31, 2016 at 12:47 pm #

Does the stupidity never end? Does the blindness never heal? Do their deaf ears never open? “forever forward: backward never! What on earth does he think he is saying??? Is RGM totally oblivious as to the state of Zimbabwe and its people???? The mind simply boggles. Zimbabwe had gone decades backwards. Even our school kids can see that. And what exactly does he think will happen when God does call him????????????????????????? What has he done with this nation? What is he going to say to God exactly? It simply amazes me how many splinters he has picked out of everyone else’s eyes and ignored the massive forests in his own. fascinating! How dare he criticise the circumstances of blacks in the States whilst ignoring the unspeakably appalling conditions of 14 million Zimbabweans caused by himself. Please Lord have mercy on us and lead us all into repentance!

4. Musona January 31, 2016 at 1:58 pm #

Mugabe, waste of space, clueless. Con man. Mothered by whites. Education funded by whites.

5. Susan January 31, 2016 at 2:30 pm #

His speech seems to have been made in “their” language too. Without the white mans language he would be totally stuffed.
    He’s a total idiot and not worth the time it takes to write about. I must be an idiot too for even commenting here. ?

6. Mugabemustfall January 31, 2016 at 7:03 pm #

The most educated failure in modern history…..

7. Willard Mubvumbi January 31, 2016 at 7:04 pm #

Whenever i say the nonegenarian will rule until donkeys grow horns people say iam crazy. Look at his fitness. His is looking like a 68 yr old. Johanne Masowe founder in the 30s prophesied that, Rhodesia will be ruled by a black man and the name will be changed. The prophet went on to say that this black man will rule and rule and rule and rule until donkeys grow horns. The prophesy never mentioned who would succeed. Meaning to say that, the incumbent will rule for many years to come.

8. bido January 31, 2016 at 7:18 pm #

This is a distortion of facts. The man did not say he will rule Zimbabwe till his death. His comment, which this journalist took out of context, was in regard to the help and advice he was offering to the incoming Chair. Readers are encouraged to watch the speech on Youtube and judge for themself. Whether or not Mugabe intends to rule Zimbabwe till his death is not the issue here.

• Guns February 1, 2016 at 9:24 am #

wat is the speech entitled on the tube

9. profahsaf February 1, 2016 at 12:17 am #

Thank you for making my wish come true MAMA I was totally devastated when Allison left me. It was like all my world vanishing into sorrow and pain. But your kind words when I first emailed you gave me hope even when i was very far from you. I felt how sincere, honest and authentic you were from your first email. I know it sounds weird but out of all the casters I contacted, you were the only one to give me that impression of being so true and caring. More than your words, it’s the fantastic work you accomplished for me that I will keep in mind when i was a thousand miles away from u. You brought my lover back and you made all my wishes come true. He’s now loyal, pays attention to me, he offers me flowers every Sunday, and we often go out at the cinema or at the restaurant. I will be forever thankful for turning my life from hell to heaven!” Patricia LONDON

• Trivo February 3, 2016 at 4:04 pm #

Am equally surprised at the distortion of facts. I concur with the comment above, whether Mugabe wants to rule,unfortunately so, for life as it seems, is besides the point but watch the video he did not say that! If you put words in quotes without ellipsis then you are saying you are quoting verbatim word by word, the author came up with his own quote mixing in one quote statements from different points of the speech, nowhere did he say “….as long as I live i will head the country…..” that part of “until God calls be in within the last 5 minutes.

10. RA February 1, 2016 at 8:29 am #

Africa’s problems were brought about by Europeans and will not be solved by only Mugabe who is one man. The article painted Mugabe as a shiftless leader. I doubt that his is as weak a leader as the slant on this article would suggest the reader to shift towards. Obviously Mugabe isn’t perfect, but he’s manged to frustrate the powers of the Western World; which is usually a sign that he is doing SOMETHING RIGHT FOR AFRICANS AND PEOPLE OF COLOR.

11. miranda February 1, 2016 at 11:03 am #

if he said well that i am happy coz thats what what people want to hear. some leaders are failing to do what this man has done.to stand up to your colour and beliefs. some people think they can gain people’s support just by going against this man. wrong or right a man who can rule in his country for more than 30 years without war can not be labelled as weak.

12. Maanda February 1, 2016 at 12:42 pm #

I love President R Mugabe, the history itself will tell that Mugabe is best leader. all news reporter and opposition party that speak only bad about Mugabe are funded by European. when Zimbabwe raise again it will raise with citizens who owns large portion their land than South Africa.

Facts
    He doesn’t owned or controlled by European
    He insist or promote African freedom from being oppressed by Coloniser system
    He has wisdom of opening eyes of African

• Maanda February 1, 2016 at 12:45 pm #

# Zimbabwe will heal again

• Robert Cone February 2, 2016 at 3:20 am #

He is owned and controlled by the Chinese.
      He and his cronies stole all the money.
      The country has never been in a worse state with a starving unemployed population.

13. Takawira February 1, 2016 at 8:21 pm #

Earn extra cash through generating traffic online. Find out more on

14. taiti February 2, 2016 at 9:28 pm #

This article is a lie. A big and an evil lie. Mugabe did not say those words. Reader, you can be free from being lied to in 2016, find the speech on YT or numerous other places and listen to it yourself.

15. write my university essay cheap February 3, 2016 at 10:46 am #

I would like to say that leadership is most important in Politics if this fail so all things would be fail. I am with Robert Mugabe because he has good thoughts.

16. profahsaf February 4, 2016 at 7:36 am #

Call MAMA on +256793948042 or email her all your problems at healingsonly@gmail.com Thank you for making my wish come true MAMA I was totally devastated when Allison left me. It was like all my world vanishing into sorrow and pain. But your kind words when I first emailed you gave me hope even when i was very far from you. I felt how sincere, honest and authentic you were from your first email. I know it sounds weird but out of all the casters I contacted, you were the only one who told me all my enemies and performed a special prayer and gave me powerful Indian crystals,oil,stick and ring to use at my work place,business as well as my home.UNBELIEVABLE!in less than 1 week,all my problems were over and I`m very happy in my marriage and my husband left his girl friend and came back to me.MAMA i will keep in mind the fantastic work you accomplished for me even when i was a thousand miles away from u. You brought my lover back and you made all my businesses improve. My business has now 18 branches in every city.My husband is now loyal, pays attention to me, he offers me flowers every Sunday, and we often go out at the cinema or at the restaurant.The holy oil you gave my husband after bathing it for threedays last week he was promoted at his place of work. I will be forever thankful for turning my life from hell to heaven!”Those reading this testimony and have the same problem its just a call a way no matter where you are your problems will be solved over the phone or email as long as you have faith. Patricia LONDON

• Jojo February 4, 2016 at 5:12 pm #

good thoughts, lots of shouting and zero action. what is he going to the west besides shouting day and night while murdering zimbabweans?

17. Latomenta de Villion February 4, 2016 at 3:06 pm #

It is death dat meka us da same…but dis man seems like he wl never die.

18. Jojo February 4, 2016 at 5:14 pm #

anongopopota, kutukira, kunemera…15 years now. chabuda zero. tikamubvunza kuti where is 2.2mill jobs he oputs his tail between legs and whimpers like a hungry puppy…sancyions…sanctions…ngavatibvuisire sanctions. aizve ko zvaunozviti shsha yekutuka ….varove ka vabvise masanctions acho. mongova bhuru repamuromo but nyanga zero?

19. Frankiey February 5, 2016 at 10:39 am #

Earn extra cash through generating traffic online and referrals. click for more details