IT took surgery to save a 12-foot Burmese python after it swallowed an entire queen-size electric blanket — with the electrical cord and control box.
The blanket must have gotten tangled up in the snake’s rabbit dinne
r, owner Karl Beznoska said. He kept the blanket in the cage to keep the 60-pound reptile, named Houdini, warm.
“Somehow, he was able to unplug the electric cord,” Beznoska said on Wednesday. “He at least wasn’t hooked up to the power. It might have been pretty warm there.”
Veterinarian Karsten Fostvedt conducted a two-hour operation on the python on Tuesday, and said afterward: “The prognosis is great.”
Neither Fostvedt nor fellow veterinarian Barry Rathfon had operated on a snake before. “We just basically called a couple of specialists and they told us where to go in,” Fostvedt said.
X-rays showed the tangle of the blanket’s wiring extending through about eight feet of the python’s digestive tract. The surgery to remove it took an 18-inch incision. — AP.