INFORMATION minister Jonathan Moyo’s bid to appeal against his exclusion from the Zanu PF primary elections in Tsholotsho will not succeed once the central committ
ee adopts the decision to reserve the seat for a woman candidate, the ruling party’s secretary for administration Didymus Mutasa said yesterday.
Moyo has appealed to Zanu PF’s National Elections Directorate against the decision to reserve Tsholotsho constituency for a woman, thereby disqualifying him.
Mutasa said the ruling party had only received Moyo’s faxed appeal yesterday although a story appeared in the Herald yesterday morning reporting on its contents. He said the party would provide an “appropriate response”.
“We have only received the appeal today (yesterday),” Mutasa said. “The central committee will deliberate on the positions taken by provinces and once adopted by the committee, nobody can appeal. Moyo has just presented his appeal to us today and it will be looked into by the elections directorate and it will come up with an appropriate response before the central committee meets.”
Senior members of the Zanu PF Women’s League yesterday said they would not tolerate any reversal on Tsholotsho.
“As women, we will not allow rules to be bent for one man,” a politburo member in the Women’s League said.
“This decision has to be respected and men must give women a chance.”
In his appeal to the chairman of the Zanu PF National Elections Directorate, Elliot Manyika, Moyo said the manner in which Tsholotsho had been set aside for women was unfair. He said he met the party’s criteria to contest the primary elections as a current member of parliament, a former member of the central committee, a former deputy secretary for information in the politburo and as a current member of the party’s national consultative assembly.
Moyo has fallen out of favour with the party leadership since hosting the ill-fated Tsholotsho meeting, allegedly to try and block Joyce Mujuru’s elevation to the post of vice-president ahead of Emmerson Mnangagwa.
Five provincial chairmen who attended the meeting have since been suspended from holding any party position for five years.
Meanwhile, war veterans leader Joseph Chinotimba this week said he would disregard Zanu PF’s nomination process, insisting he was still the candidate for the Glen Norah constituency. He was disqualified at the weekend.
The Harare provincial coordi-nating committee barred Chinotimba from
contesting primary elections scheduled for January 15, reserving the seat for former Harare commissioner Cleveria Chizema.
Chinotimba ignored the disqualification and submitted his papers for vetting directly to the national elections directorate and politburo.
Chinotimba confirmed to the Zimbabwe Independent that he had submitted his papers to the politburo for vetting after the provincial coordinating committee indicated that Glen Norah was reserved for a female candidate.
“As far as I am concerned, I am still an aspiring candidate for Glen Norah until the politburo and the people of my constituency reject me,” Chinotimba said.
“People of Glen Norah should stay calm because I am still in the race to represent them. I have submitted my CV directly to the national commissariat for vetting,” Chinotimba said.
“All those who are claiming that they are already candidates are lying because the national commissariat and politburo are yet to confirm their candidature.”
Chinotimba said there were a number of candidates who were unfairly treated and had forwarded their CVs directly to the national elections directorate.
Sources in Zanu PF said Manyika had been overwhelmed with com-plaints from constituencies throughout the country. They said over a dozen candidates who felt robbed by both the party’s new requirements and reservation of seats for women had either written or sent emissaries to make representations to the politburo and national commissariat on their behalf seeking the reversal of the nomination process.
“There is serious disgruntlement among party activists following the exclusion of aspiring candidates who had spent millions of dollars in campaigning and assisting the electorate in the constituencies,” sources said.
They said most incumbent MPs who were imposed as candidates had failed dismally over the past five years and efforts to remove them were quashed by the stringent guidelines set by Zanu PF two weeks ago.
Only members of the provincial executive, na-tional consultative assembly, central committee and “clean” sitting MPs are eligible to participate in the primary polls.