HomeLocalMutasa faces prosecution

Mutasa faces prosecution

Clemence Manyukwe


STATE Security, Lands and Land Resettlement minister, Didymus Mutasa faces prosecution after Police Commissioner Augustine Chihuri complied with a directive from the Attorney-General’s office to prepare a docket over allegations that he led attacks

on a Zanu PF faction led by war veteran James Kaunye.

Reports on the development follow the setting of a trial date for Justice minister, Patrick Chinamasa and five others, including the head of the Central Intelligence Organisation (CIO) in Manicaland, Innocent Chibaya, on allegations of trying to obstruct the course of justice in the Mutasa assault case.

Chinamasa is said to have approached Kaunye twice urging him to drop charges against Albert Nyakuedzwa and 15 other Zanu PF members who attacked Kaunye for challenging Mutasa in Zanu PF’s primary elections ahead of the 2005 general election.

Nyakuedzwa and the others received jail sentences of up to three years, but Mutasa was not arraigned before the courts.

Sources said there were two dockets on Mutasa’s case (Mayo CR 25/08/04 and Headlands CR 51/08/04) following different reports made to police in the 2004 political violence case.

They said Chihuri’s action follows various communications between him and the AG’s office on the matter that started on March 10 2005.

In a letter on that date, the then Director of Public Prosecutions and now High Court judge Joseph Musakwa said to Chihuri: “The evidence in this docket heavily implicates Minister Mutasa. Can warned and cautioned statements be recorded from him. Thereafter revert to us with the statements and the docket.”

Contacted for comment on Wednesday, Mutasa said: “I do not want to talk to you. Last week you wrote that (AG Sobusa) Gula-Ndebele would be taking Chinamasa to court and I may be the next one. What is news about it? Do you think it’s good news?”

In an earlier interview in which Mutasa confirmed a probe by the police into CIO bosses who would be charged together with Chinamasa, Mutasa said “the case will not go anywhere”.

Gula-Ndebele’s secretary said: “The AG said the Director of Public Prosecutions (Loice Matanda-Moyo) is the one handling that case so she should comment but right now she is away. She will be back on Monday.”

The chief law officer, Florence Ziyambi, refused to comment.

Police spokesperson Wayne Bvudzijena said: “I have no comment.”

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading