A BID by police to block the opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) from launching its economic recovery plan in Gweru yesterday failed when the High Court ruled that it could proc
High Court judge Rita Makarau gave the MDC the go ahead to launch its economic blueprint, known as Reconstruction, Stabilisation, Recovery and Transformation (Restart).
This is the second time that the government has tried to block the MDC from launching its flagship economic programme. Last Thursday when Restart was launched in Harare, the MDC had to seek a High Court interdict to prevent the police from blocking it.
MDC spokesperson Paul Themba Nyathi said the party had informed the police in advance of their meeting. But Chief Superintendent E Mbewe, the officer commanding Gweru Urban, replied that the launch could not go ahead as the police were “committed elsewhere during the period”.
Nyathi castigated the government for its action.
“It is a big shame on the regime that the MDC has to go to court every time it seeks to outline its policies,” Nyathi said.
“Zanu PF started showing these signs of panic last week, running negative stories about the MDC economic policy. Zimbabweans will no doubt be wondering why Zanu PF seeks to stop the people knowing the contents of that programme,” Nyathi said.