TIGER Woods plans to compete on an event-by-event basis when he returns to competitive action following injury.
The 33-year-old has not competed since winning the US Open when he played with a knee injury and a double stress fracture of the lower leg.
“The perfect scenario is I come back without a hitch and play a full schedule,” said Woods, who has had reconstructive surgery on his knee. “But with another baby coming, I’m taking it event by event.”
Woods, who is still at the top of the world rankings, said he was making progress in his rehabilitation with the help of his instructor. “I did some work with Hank Haney for a few days last week and it’s all good,” the 14-time major winner added.
“I’m full-bore with my practice sessions and have no restrictions; it’s just a matter of getting my golf endurance up. I don’t have my golf stamina back yet.”
The American also insisted that his trademark golf swing had not been altered following the operation.
“Many people have asked me if my swing has changed since the surgery and the answer is no,” he added.
“I’m doing all the things I’ve been trying to do for a long time but I can actually hit into my left leg without my bones moving. It’s a nice feeling! It is so much better than it ever has been because my bones aren’t grinding against each other.”
Woods is targeting the Masters in April as his first priority but he is likely to want to play competitively before then.
The WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship in Tucson later this month is a possibility for his much-anticipated comeback, although the WGC-CA Championship in Miami (March 12-15) is more likely. – BBCOnline.