BULAWAYO — The Welshman Ncube-led MDC has claimed it has been forced to conduct door-to-door campaigns in Umguza, Matabeleland North as opposed to rallies to protect villagers from harassment by Zanu PF if they attend.
This comes after the MDCs raised fears over a resurgence of terror in the constituency alleging that Zanu PF supporters were now intimidating villagers for supporting the MDC.
Discent Bajila, the MDC National Youth Secretary-General, told The Standard that the party had resorted to door-to-door campaigns to protect villagers from the former ruling party.
“Door-to-doors are the actual party-building work. We are not holding any public meetings or rallies in Umguza because that area is violence-prone where MDC supporters now face harassment and intimidation,” said Bajila. “Holding public meetings exposes our supporters to violence and intimidation. Even in the past, Umguza has always been one constituency where our supporters are not safe [during the period] towards elections.”
Last month William Sibanda, an MDC-T youth assembly member in Nyamandlovu was arrested by State security agents and sent to Lupane for refusing to attend a Zanu PF rally in the area.
A fortnight ago, Sibusisiwe Dube, MDC-T women’s chairperson in Umguza was also threatened with abduction and possible death for her association with the party.
Mines minister Obert Mpofu, who is also the Zanu PF legislator for Umguza, has dismissed as false, claims of intimidation by MDCs’ supporters.
He said the MDCs were “faking harassment stories” against him because they knew he had already “won” the parliamentary seat.
Elections are set for this year after the referendum which has been scheduled for March 16.