HomeSportMawiwi loses again as Chiredzi FC registers first win

Mawiwi loses again as Chiredzi FC registers first win



HOW MINE 2 (2)


Harare City were coronated with a dubious honour of the worst start to the season since the turn of the millennium when they lost 2-1 to FC Platinum at Mandava yesterday.

Qadr Amini’s controversial penalty and Donald Ngoma’s goal outweighed Raymond Uchena’s late penalty to bestow on City their sixth straight defeat of the season.

Since the turn of the millennium, no team has lost six opening games, except for the City Fathers. It was however an unfortunate coronation for Bigboy Mawiwi’s men as they controlled the match but failed to get a positive result.

After the match, Mawiwi complained bitterly about poor officiating by referee Maxwell Nyamhuri and his assistant Thomas Kusosa which was to some extent justified.

“We played well. We were the better side today but the officiating was bad. We could have even come back from behind but were being frustrated by the referee,” said Mawiwi.

Lloyd Mutasa was delighted after registering his second victory of the season.

“We hope to maintain that performance and it is great to win at home,” said Mutasa.

Nyamhuri awarded the platinum miners the penalty in the 56th minute after adjudging that the impressive James Jam had handled a Donald Ngoma cross inside the penalty box and Amini made no mistake to convert.

Eight minutes later, Ngoma doubled the lead for FC Platinum. On the stroke of full time, Gift Bello impended Martin Vengesai inside the penalty box and Uchena converted the resultant penalty.

In Bulawayo, Thandiwe Moyo reports that Chiredzi FC finally got it when they beat Bantu Rovers 2-0 at Luveve yesterday. The Lowveld-based team who are second from bottom got their goals courtesy of a brace from David Mutemwanjera in the 15th and 44th minutes.
However, they remain rooted on second place from bottom, with Bantu Rovers moving one place down to 12th place.

Bantu Rovers will rue missed chances including a penalty in the 54th minute which Obadiah Tarumbwa failed to convert. In-form Chiredzi goalkeeper Simon Kafitire was up to the task.

Bantu Rovers coach Methembe Ndlovu who joined the team from the United Kingdom yesterday said his team was under pressure from the onset.

“From the first minute we were under pressure and we never got back even after they scored their first goal. Even before they scored we were not there. We did not come to the party,” he said.
Chiredzi played without head coach Moses Chunga who was sitting in the terraces with assistant coach Dzingai Muringe taking over.
He refused to divulge why Chunga was not on the bench saying it was an administrative issue.

“We feel good about the win. We have been playing good football but failing to win and today we relieved the pressure.
Unfortunately that [Chunga being on the terraces] is an administrative issue that I cannot comment on,” said Muringe.

In yet another match in Bulawayo, Fortune Mbele reports that How Mine continued their winning ways with a third straight victory, handing log leaders Hwange their first defeat of the season to shoot to second place on the log table in an exciting Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Luveve yesterday.

Kuda Musharu scored first as early as the sixth minute with a flick to get his tally to four goals after he was set up by Wonder Sithole who picked up a loose ball inside the Hwange box following a failed clearance by defender David Boriwondo.

Sithole then got the second in the 23rd minute after making a solo run on the left and unleashing a screamer to the near post, beating Hwange goalkeeper Takabva Mawaya all systems out.

Hwange remain on the top awaiting the results of today’s matches with 11 points from six matches.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading