Manyuchi to quit boxing

Two-time World Boxing Council (WBC) welterweight champion Charles Manyuchi says he is quitting boxing at the end of this year in protest over Zimbabwe’s lack of appreciation of his exploits.

BY MICHAEL MADYIRA

In an exclusive interview with Standardsport, last week Manyuchi said: “I think if I was related to a government minister or member of parliament I was going to meet the President like what Kirsty Coventry, Stephen Muzhingi, Elliot Mujaji and Munyaradzi Chidzonga did,” said Manyuchi.

“God has never failed me because I have made Zimbabwe proud even though they do not appreciate my efforts. I am spreading the gospel through boxing.

Manyuchi is under Zambian stable Oriental Quarries Boxing Promotions, who fully cater for his training with no help coming from the Zimbabwean government.

The 26-year-old pugilist successfully defended the WBC international welterweight title last November after claiming a third round victory over Devis Caceres of Colombia at the Government Complex in Lusaka, Zambia.

He had earlier on in March won the same title after beating respected Ghanaian Patrick Allotey at the same venue.

After several victories on foreign soil including in Burkina Faso, South Africa and Namibia, the Masvingo-born boxer has always complained about the Zimbabwean government’s blind eye on his achievements.

He was however, finally honoured last month when he was named the country’s 2014 Sportsperson of the Year. But he is still disgruntled and says the time is up for him to hang his gloves.

“From 2010 to 2014 I have been winning all my international fights in DRC, Malawi, Zambia, Burkina Faso, Ghana and Tanzania but I still feel useless because of my country. I cannot go on anymore. My last year of fighting is 2015. Honestly speaking, mark my words because I am getting nothing out of this. It is a long story.”

In his next fight, he is expected to trade leather with a yet to be confirmed Equatorial Guinean on February 5. The fight will be in Bata for the vacant IBF Inter-Continental welterweight title.
Manyuchi has already started training in Zambia and has never staged an international bout in Zimbabwe.

7 Responses to Manyuchi to quit boxing

1. TanakaHonest January 4, 2015 at 12:41 pm #

Why don’t you just change citizenship. Take that offer from Zambia; be Zambian!!!

2. Roell January 4, 2015 at 2:43 pm #

So are you only fighting so that you can meet President Mugabe??? Is it the reason why went into boxing?

3. tafamutekwe January 4, 2015 at 3:26 pm #

Go ahead and quit boxing which is your sole livelihood. A case of cutting your nostril to spite your face.You think the government cares? Its you and your family who will suffer and you will die poor like Schoolboy Tinago and Kilimanjaro. A clever guy will take up Zambian citizenship and let those Zambian professionals raise your career to greater heights.Don’t waste your God given talent young man uchiramwira ma Taliban e ZANU. They will not care about your actions at all. Be wise Manyuchi for Heaven sake!

4. Edward Chombe January 4, 2015 at 6:48 pm #

It is a sad scenario for one not to be appreciated in a place of birth but honoured elsewhere. I however feel that we need to change who we are doing it for, even Jesus suffered the same fate. Charles keep fighting the good fight for yourself, your family and those who respect what you are doing.

5. Tafanana Zhou January 4, 2015 at 10:39 pm #

I had to sober up first before responding to this article otherwise I would have insulted Manyuchi and I would have ended up sounding as foolish as him. Here is a talented young man whom God has given the gift of Zambian support and now he threatens to quit because some very old President called Mugabe has not met him. How sad!! If Manyuchi quits boxing Mugabe will not resign. True what the other person who commented said, cutting your nose to spite your face. How dare you? Benjani Mwariwaru was unknown to all of us until he started playing in France and remember that was after he became Players Player of the Year in the RSA Premiership. After that Zimbabwean soccer was eating from his hands just like Tapiwa Nengomasha and Knowledge Musona. We only got to hear about them after they did well in foreign land. Get Zambian citizenship and move your young family there. When you eventually conquer the world you will have all of us lining up to shake your hand and this includes the President who fortunately will not be this old man that you are dying to meet. Believe me Mugabe or any one else for that matter except the guys who have given you sponsorship in Zambia do not add any value to your career. Stop being childish. Continue fighting. Remain focused and forget about all those other things that will unnecessarily distract you.
    Good luck young man.

6. Pats January 5, 2015 at 7:54 am #

Why spoil your brilliant career, just take Zambian citizenship, period

7. FELLOW NOUSENGA January 9, 2015 at 4:34 am #

go man go. I love you Mr CM

© 2019 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.