Ministers are ignorant: Mugabe nephew

INDIGENISATION minister, Patrick Zhuwao, on Saturday described fellow Cabinet ministers as ignorant as he stepped up the war against critics of the controversial policy on indigenisation among President Robert Mugabe’s lieutenants.

BY NQOBANI NDLOVU

Mugabe’s nephew warned he would publicly embarrass the unnamed ministers if they continued to make contradictory pronouncements on the policy.

He said this while addressing National University of Science and Technology students in Bulawayo during a lecture on leadership.

Zhuwao said ministers and other top government officials who sought to insinuate that the Indigenisation and Economic Empowerment Act had been toned down were ill-informed.

Ministers and other government officials had been interpreting the law differently in what economic experts say has turned away would-be investors who needed clarity on the matter.

However, Zhuwao said the confusion regarding the implementation was caused by “ignoramuses in Cabinet and government circles”.

He said there was no going back on the radical law that has been blamed for the sorry economic state that Zimbabwe finds itself in.

“The one thing that needs to be urgently addressed is to eliminate ignorant statements around indigenisation and economic empowerment because there are statements that are being made by some people, some in the level of ministers in Cabinet, including top government officials,” he said. “The statements show ignorance about the whole exercise.

“I have said it before, and warned people, including ministers, to be careful about making ignorant statements about this issue otherwise I will correct them in public.”

Zhuwao was responding to a question on why there was discord in government on the indigenisation exercise.
Some government ministers reportedly wanted the law toned down or repealed altogether to woo into the country the much-needed investment.

But Zhuwao yesterday said that would never happen. The law compels foreigners to cede 51% of their shareholding to locals.

Government has made amendments to the Act, giving line ministers power to approve indigenisation plans for sectors under their ministry.

Zhuwao said claims the indigenisation and empowerment exercise chased away investors were baseless and not backed by any facts and research.

He vowed to march ahead with the indigenisation exercise, starting with the launch of an empowerment strategy for all sectors of the economy on October 16.

Zhuwao said the economy had not been fully indigenised following the enactment of enabling legislation in 2010 because such a strategy had not been developed.

“Some of those messages that [indigenisation] will chase away investment are not true. Firstly, we are not the first country to come up with an indigenisation exercise and secondly, it’s not based on empirical facts,” he said.

“The strategy for economic empowerment had not been developed and I will be launching it on 16 October.

“I am a firm believer, from the economic point of view, in resource nationalism. In Zimbabwe, it finds expression in policy and legislation, but the only problem we had was that there was no strategy for economic empowerment.”

Zhuwao in an interview after the lecture, said ministers and others who had issues with the way he was implementing the indigenisation exercise should write to him. He refused to entertain any questions after that.

21 Responses to Ministers are ignorant: Mugabe nephew

1. kennus October 11, 2015 at 9:51 am #

failures.

• fribatruth October 12, 2015 at 10:02 am #

????I earned $5000 last month by working online just for 5 to 8 hours on my laptop and this was so easy that i myself could not believe before working on this site. If You too want to earn such a big money then come and join us.

try this web-site …….… http://www.22forbescash.com

2. Brada October 11, 2015 at 11:17 am #

Zimbabwe is competing with other countries in terms of attracting investment. If investors are not happy with the Zim policies they will take their money elsewhere.

3. Musona October 11, 2015 at 12:03 pm #

Before Solomon Mujuru died the country was being run by Solomon Mujuru and Mugabe. It is now clear the country now being run by Mugabe, Grace, Mutsvangwa, as the de facto Vice-President, and Patrick Zhuwao as the cabinet enforcer. Off-the-cuff remarks by these four has the power of law. All the others are Mugabe’s blind, paid praise-singers. George Charamba is the megaphone. When we talk if ZanuPF we mean this powerful quartet an their megaphone Charamba.

4. Musona October 11, 2015 at 12:04 pm #

The last sentence should read, “When we talk of ZanuPF we mean this powerful quartet and their megaphone Charamba”.

5. Musona October 11, 2015 at 12:42 pm #

Zhuwao is actually the de facto Prime Minister. No minister can dare say anything against Zhuwao. Ministers are more petrified of Zhuwao than of senile Mugabe.

6. matirowafansa October 11, 2015 at 3:26 pm #

Zhuwao is wrong on the indigenisation move. However, I like him for one thing, protecting those working under his ministry, especially we the ward development officers. I feel sorry for teachers under Dokora who keeps intimidating them and treat them like beggars. We love our Minister because he likes and protects us, there is more job security in the youth brigade than teaching.

• charibobo October 11, 2015 at 9:56 pm #

i beg to differ. if only u had a clear understanding of the Act then u would see his vision. wht would it yield u to have something but not control over it????

7. mukadota October 11, 2015 at 8:15 pm #

Someone should shut this guy up, the more he continues to talk the more evident it becomes how stupid he really is!

• bobo October 11, 2015 at 9:58 pm #

the guy aint stupid at all. his a voice of common sense trying to knock some sense into the avearage Zimbabwean

• gucrecapru October 13, 2015 at 3:33 am #

Start making cash right now… Get more time with your family by doing jobs that only require for you to have a computer and an internet access and you can have that at your home. Start bringing up to $8423 a month. I’ve started this job and I’ve never been happier and now I am sharing it with you, so you can try it too. You can check it out here…. http://www.richhours55.com

8. levison October 12, 2015 at 8:13 am #

Zhuwayo is a dictator. He is using too much power. I think he thinks he is Mugabe.

9. fribatruth October 12, 2015 at 9:49 am #

try this web-site …….… http://www.22forbescash.com

10. gikerepeko October 12, 2015 at 2:06 pm #

try this web-site …….… http://www.22forbescash.com

11. E Makhate October 13, 2015 at 6:25 am #

Banana republic. Talk of indigenisation, build public toilets in Masvingo and Plumtree.

12. JacklineThomes October 13, 2015 at 11:23 pm #

my mate’s aunt makes $98 consistently on the PC………After earning an average of 19952 Dollars monthly,I’m finally getting 98 Dollars an hour,just working 4-5 hours daily online….It’s time to take some action and you can join it too It is simple,dedicated and easy way to get rich.Three weeks from now you will wishyou have started today – I promise!!….HERE I STARTED-TAKE A LOOK AT…..euyiyut..

➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤➤http://WWW.NETJOIN10.COMcopythis Link ________

13. JacklineThomes October 13, 2015 at 11:25 pm #

try this web-site …….… http://www.netjoin10.com

14. wki57155 October 14, 2015 at 12:18 pm #

try this web-site …….… http://www.22forbescash.com

15. Tachiona October 15, 2015 at 9:16 pm #

it doesnt need research or an economic barometer to see that Zim has been scaring investors of late. the factors can be endogenous, exogenous or both. Bad governance, political instability, government policies, depletion of resources, legislation, crime or a combination of all these can scare away investor.
    am not against indigenisation but it becomes a problem if the 51% only benefit but a few individuals.take for example the Marange Diamond Mines as a case study. its better the government takes lesser attract more investors who will employ the mijority of the people. I know you would argue and say industries are sweatshops for workers but it saves the government for welfare and donations and concerntrate more on developmental. Mr Zhuwao. food for thought.

16. Tachiona October 15, 2015 at 9:25 pm #

it doesnt need research or an economic barometer to see that Zim has been scaring investors of late. the factors can be endogenous, exogenous or both. Bad governance, political instability, government policies, depletion of resources, legislation, crime or a combination of all these can scare away investors.
    am not against indigenisation but it becomes a problem if the 51% only benefit but a few individuals.take for example the Marange Diamond Mines as a case study. its better the government takes lesser attract more investors who will employ the mijority of the people. I know you would argue and say industries are sweatshops for workers but it saves the government from social welfare and donations and concerntrate more on developmental issues. Mr Zhuwao. food for thought.

17. lkq53465 October 15, 2015 at 10:26 pm #

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+ http://www.richhours55.com

© 2020 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.