Outrage over Grace’s wheelchair pledge

FIRST LADY Grace Mugabe’s (pictured) declaration that a special wheelchair will be made for President Robert Mugabe to enable him to rule even when he reached 100 years old has sparked outrage.

BY MOSES MATENGA

Opposition parties and analysts say such a move would be resisted at all cost.

grace-mugabe-(2)

Grace told thousands of Zanu PF party supporters in Murewa last week that Mugabe would continue to rule even from a wheelchair, or if he got blind.

“I said we will make a special wheelchair for Mugabe such that when he can’t walk, we will push him to rallies,” she said.

“We have travelled a lot [around the world] and we have seen that happening. Other leaders are blind and if Mugabe turns blind, who cares, he is our choice.”

Mugabe is struggling with old age and ill-health and has been captured on several occasions struggling to walk, amplifying calls from the opposition for the 91- year-old veteran leader to step down.

But Zanu PF provinces have already endorsed him as their sole 2018 presidential candidate when he will be 94 to serve another five-year term that will see him ruling until 2023 when he would be 99.

MDC spokesperson, Kurauone Chihwayi said Zimbabweans will resist a “home-based care” leader.

“Zimbabweans, including politically blind Zanu PF supporters, will never allow Mugabe to rule from a wheelchair,” said Chihwayi.

MDC-T spokesperson Obert Gutu said the wheelchair statement was a crude insult to the people.

“The infamous wheelchair statement is a gross and crude insult to all right-thinking and patriotic Zimbabweans,” he said.

“She thinks we are trash. This woman will very soon be surprised by the resilience as well as the brilliance of Zimbabweans.”

Political analyst Takura Zhangazha said Grace’s statement showed a “semblance of desperation.”

“I think the statement was made in a ‘populist moment’ in order to demonstrate that anyone harbouring ambitions to succeed her husband is involved in an exercise in futility,” Zhangazha said.

“It, however, has a double meaning, that of a semblance of desperation to make the point that her husband is not leaving office anytime soon, indicating that indeed there are those that harbour those said ambitions.”

Another commentator, commenting on social media identifying himself as Mokwena, said it was now evident a Zanu PF faction was desperate to block Vice-President Emmerson Mnangagwa from succeeding Mugabe.

“It clearly underlines the thinking behind G40 that the longer Mugabe stays, the slimmer are the chances for Mnangagwa, who by the time Mugabe gets to 100 as per his wife’s wish, will be above 80 years,” he wrote.

Zimbabwe Civic Education Trust executive director Gladys Hlatywayo said there was an “obvious futile attempt to defy the force of nature” by those trying to prolong Mugabe’s rule.

“Ageing is a natural process that every person goes through. When someone is ageing, faculties start to deteriorate and they are advised to rest. It is evil and insensitive to encourage old people to perform duties meant for the young and energetic,” Hlatywayo said.

7 Responses to Outrage over Grace’s wheelchair pledge

1. Dafete,Clever November 29, 2015 at 10:00 am #

How,can,we,trust,our,gvt,they,give,u,with,right,hand,snatch,with,left,hand.So,they,are,going,to,be!companseted,

• Mamvemve November 29, 2015 at 4:07 pm #

People are failing to grasp the situation- Mugabe is already a cabbage and he is still in power. So what are Zimbos going to about it? Grace’s point is that they are untouchable because they know we are all cowards. This was the sort of attitude that Gadaffi had and it took an impressive array of allies to topple him. Who is going to help us if we do not have oil?

2. Jonathiel Moyowaonda November 29, 2015 at 12:10 pm #

Personally I do not Grace can be condemned for uttering such rubbish. What do people expect her to say about her old husband? Do we expect her to speak the language of the opposition? She needs the continue hallucinating and its unfair for us to condemn her.

It is the duty of the opposition particularly the MDC-T to counter her by campaigning vigorously in every rural location. Expecting her to aid them by singing with them in condemning her husband would be insanity of the highest order. Killers also sob as they mourn their departed.

Grace is just doing any person would do when a relative is being attacked, be on his side even he is wrong, stand by him both in ‘sickness or death.’

3. Jonathiel Moyowaonda November 29, 2015 at 12:12 pm #

Personally I do not see any reason why Grace can be condemned for uttering such rubbish. What do people expect her to say about her old husband? Do we expect her to speak the language of the opposition? She needs the continue hallucinating and its unfair for us to condemn her.

4. crimebupap November 29, 2015 at 1:08 pm #

I earned $5000 last month by working online just for 5 to 8 hours on my laptop and this was so easy that i myself could not believe before working on this site. If You too want to earn such a big money then come and join us.

try this web-site …….… http://www.22forbescash.com

5. taps November 29, 2015 at 4:27 pm #

In all honest, zimboz we are cowards, mugabe will rule for as longas he like with zero concequence coming his way. Grace knows that zimbabweans are a docile lot, can be punched, bruised and abused at will

6. jjajja maria December 3, 2015 at 9:31 am #

MAMA AND DR MADE MY LIFE A SUCCESS IN S.A +27836972245 SHE SOLVES ALL PROBLEMS THROUGH A MAGIC POT OF WATER: SHE MADE MY LIFE A SUCCESS “several years of unhappiness in my marriage led to loneliness, continuous crying and suffering,after hearing about mama ,i decided to visit her “for only Rand 350 as a consultation fee,she read my fortune accurately and told me about my past life,my marriage and business and in a dish of water with a mirror she showed me the faces of my enemies as well as my husband`s girlfriend.She performed a special prayer and gave me powerful Indian crystals,oil,stick and ring to use at my work place,business as well as my home.UNBELIEVABLE!in less than 1 week,all my problems were over and I`m very happy in my marriage and my husband left his girl friend and came back to me.Over the years,i have tried many healer but they all failed.MAMA,your special ring is a blessing that has improved my financial status,business stability,love as well as my home.There is no other way to say thank you but to tell others about you and your work!contact her +27836972245.She has offices in,Johannesburg sandton

© 2021 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.

123