HomeSportChapungu beat Hwange

Chapungu beat Hwange

Chapungu . . . . . . 0(2)
Hwange . . . . . . . . 0(0)

How Mine . . . . . 1(2)
ZPC Kariba . . . . 0(0)

Bulawayo City . . . 0(0)
Tsholotsho FC . . . . . . 1(1)

CHAPUNGU utilised territorial advantage with a comprehensive win against Hwange at Ascot yesterday.

BY staff reporters


Two second half goals from Gift Phiri and William Ngonya ensured maximum points for Chapungu.

Both sides came into the duel intending to atone for their first match heavy defeats where Chapungu lost 3-0 to CAPS United and Hwange suffered the same fate against Highlanders.

Chapungu coach John Nyikadzino was happy with the maximum points at home.

“I am happy we managed to utilise our chances and get maximum points at home. Against CAPS United we played well, but wasted a number of chances,” said Nyikadzino

Losing coach Mebelo Njekwa was disappointed with his side’s poor start, but said he was confident they would bounce back.

“It is very bad to concede five goals in two matches, but I am confident we will bounce back from this slumber,” said Njekwa.

In Bulawayo, How Mine came good to beat ZPC Kariba at White City yesterday.

Pasca Manhanga and Tsepo Ranthokoane scored a goal in each half to ensure How Mine picked up their first set of three points.

Striker Kuda Musharu provided the assists for both goals, with Manhanga beating ZPC Kariba goalkeeper Takabva Mawaya in the 24th minute inside the penalty box, while Ranthokoane punished his former paymasters for poor marking on the death, also from inside the box.

How Mine coach Kelvin Kaindu was happy with the win.

“It’s good for us to record a victory. The win gives us a bit of confidence going forward, but there is still a lot of work to be done,” he said.

His counterpart Sunday Chidzambwa said his boys paid dearly for sloppy marking and they conceded easy goals.
At Barbourfields Stadium, Tsholotsho Football Club captain William Stima converted a first half penalty to help his side register their first win of the 2016 premiership season yesterday.

Match referee Nkosikhona Moyo awarded Tsholotsho FC the set piece after Bulawayo City defender Brighton Dube used his hand to block a goal bound effort by Iziqholo Zezhwane forward Bruno Madanhire on 44 minutes.

Dube was shown a straight red card by the referee for the deliberate handball and City had to finish the match with 10 men.

After the match, Amakhosi coach Philani Beefy Ncube said his charges were unlucky to come away empty-handed as they had played better than their opponents.

“My boys played better than Tsholotsho, but luck was just not on our side. It’s unfortunate that we did not only concede from a penalty, but went on to lose a player through a red card and I felt as a senior player he [Brighton] should have been wise enough to let the ball go in as we could have regrouped with a full complement of players,” Ncube said.

His Tsholotsho counterpart Lizwe Sweswe was full of praise for his charges.

“It’s good that we finally got off the mark and this win will be a morale booster as we prepare for our next game against Highlanders,” Sweswe said.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading