Foreigners shun plastic money

IN March 2016, the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe governor John Mangudya called for an 80% cashless society in the next five years in order to move the country away from its heavy reliance on cash.

BY TATIRA ZWINOIRA

Yet, nearly two years into Mangudya’s directive on the use of plastic money, many foreign-owned retail businesses are still insisting on cash payment and flatly refusing to embrace point of sale (POS) machines or EcoCash.

Most of these foreign retailers are of Chinese, Indian and Nigerian origin.

Even with recent price increases ranging between 30 and 50% these foreign retailers continue to demand cash, some of them insisting on only US dollars.

While no known statistics have been made available on just how many foreigners are in the retail space, estimates say they own a huge chunk of the sector.

On Friday, Standardbusiness conducted a snap survey in downtown Harare where a large number of shops do not accept plastic money payments.

In one shop called Beauty Max, which sells beauty related products, we watched as one potential customer after another were denied use of EcoCash. The shop attendant only accepted cash or POS only for transactions exceeding $10.

Beauty Max, according to one of the workers, is owned by a Pakistani by the name Amar and is the one behind the zero EcoCash acceptance and POS machine payments for purchases of more than $10 only.

“We do not accept EcoCash. We only accept swipe and that is for transactions which are worth over $10,” the cashier said.

Further down the street, is a fabric store Kaymo Fabrics which is owned by Indian-born Mohammed Hassim, (according to one of the shop attendees).

The shop specialises in selling imported fabric and accepts only cash.

“We only accept cash my brother,” one of the shop attendees told this reporter.

Many Chinese retailers are also doing cash only transactions.

Although many retailers at the busy Gulf shopping mall accept EcoCash and swipe, most Chinese retailers here will take only cash.

One shop registered under the company Formalday Investments Private Limited is one such retailer insisting on cash payment.

The shop sells accessories that include kitchenware, cell phone pouches, and rat traps, among others products.

Here, EcoCash is accepted only for a few goods.

One customer who tried and failed to buy using plastic money was particularly livid.

“How can they not accept EcoCash or swipe? This is totally unfair and I don’t think it is legal,” he complained as he left the store.

“These Chinese guys keep to themselves and rarely show their faces,” said a taxi driver, who did not want to be named.

“Most of the shops at this complex are owned by Chinese nationals. You only see them in the shop towards end of day.”

Along Kaguvi Street, Standardbusiness visited a number of shops owned by Nigerian nationals and found that while most accept payments using POS machines and EcoCash others demand only US dollars.

Most of these shops sell motor spares and related products.

Government seems to have turned a blind eye to such activities. The only action taken followed reports mid last year that some Chinese retailers either issued receipts with no value added tax numbers or none at all.

This report resulted in the taxman shutting down a Chinese blanket manufacturing firm, Veleez, for circumventing their duty and tax obligations.

Such practices show that a large number of these foreign players are not paying taxes to government. There are also suspicions that this cash demand by these foreign retailers is meant to facilitate externalisation.

However, Chinese Federation of Zimbabwe deputy president Steve Zhao said that it was important to remember that while some Chinese retailers were indeed accepting only cash, even locally-owned retailers were also doing the same.

“We try and encourage the people to try and follow the country’s law by using all the plastic money platforms. As a federation, we are neither police nor the army, so we can only try and encourage people but we do not have the final rule to say you must,” he said.

No comment could be obtained from the Zimbabwe India Chamber of Commerce concerning the matter of how some Indian retailers were only demanding cash for their wares.

Confederation of Zimbabwe Retailers president Denford Mutashu said such practices by foreign retailers spoke of indiscipline in the sector but agreed with Zhao’s sentiments that the problem was widespread.

“While it is pronounced on foreign-owned shops because most of them import their wares, it is spread across the spectrum of the sector including locally-owned shops, both registered and unregistered. We have witnessed serious short changing of consumers and have engaged government on the matter as we seek to restore legacy (if I may borrow the term from the army) retailing and wholesaling in the country,” he said.

He said the reason behind such cash seeking practice had to do with sourcing foreign currency from the parallel market since there is a shortage of forex from the formal market, non-circulation of cash in the economy and cash not being easily remitted to suppliers.

Calls to Industry, Commerce and Enterprise Development minister Mike Bimha went unanswered.

8 Responses to Foreigners shun plastic money

1. mgobhozi wezintabeni January 7, 2018 at 5:45 am #

The issue of plastic money should had been introduced gradually,not the way it has been introduced in Zimbabwe.Plastic money has been forced to Zimbabweans due to shortage of cash and as a result the system experiences great difficulties in accommodating high volumes of traffic of transactions that the system was not prepared to handle.The Governor should desist from this tendency of regarding people as if they are being foolish for not using plastic money.Use of plastic money should be optional that is the trend through out the world,it should not be forced the manner it is happening in Zimbabwe.

• Dumi January 8, 2018 at 4:19 pm #

Any sane person will know that you cannot get cash out of the bank. Infact those who accept plastic money are stupid fools who need their heads examined. You can’t decree the economy.

2. T M Kujinga January 7, 2018 at 9:16 am #

It is not only foreigners though. In Kadoma the bulk of petrol stations do not accept Ecocash.
    The Central Bank Governor therefore still has a lot to do.

3. G Robertson January 7, 2018 at 11:48 am #

It would also help if the government removed the tax on POS. 5c on every transaction.

4. Ann January 7, 2018 at 6:58 pm #

The plastic money is only of use in Zimbabwe. We have to get permission to use it outside the country, 95 % of the time it is rejected by the bank eg no pay slip cant see where the money is coming from most of us are employed informally. I do not blame the foreigners a bit how do they replace stock. This New Government better wake up and quickly, Zimbabwe is very frustrating all we do is think of the money we want a life not just living.

5. MAMA January 8, 2018 at 3:54 pm #

+27635166352Call or whats-app a great woman all your problems now
    *It was like a bad omen with what we call (Isiqhitho) in our South African religion. I decided to visit or consult with Dr wendy wuno. When I got to her temple she touched my forehead and my palm, then she prayed for me. She told me to wait for 7 (seven) days in order to see the outcome/results. Within (3) three days my girlfriend sent me a text message asking me and my family to meet with her family the very same week at her parental home.
    *On arrival, my girlfriend could hardly hold back herself. When she saw me, she just broke in tears and knelt down asking me to marry her right there as she was ready to be my wife. As they say, the rest was history. We made a great couple after the wedding and we are now a happy family.
    *We have been together for Four years now ever since. Once again I would like to thank wendyi. Just in case you face the same problem as mine, don’t hesitate or waste your time, visit her and you won’t regret.
    Contact the Great Healer wendy now for your relationship and marriage problems+27635166352

6. Emperor January 9, 2018 at 2:00 pm #

Why are Zimbabweans buying these rubbish items from China and India and do not produce locally?
    And why importing food from South Africa instead of meet demand locally?
    Than they complain there is no forex, silly !!!

7. MAMA January 10, 2018 at 11:11 am #

What a wonderful testimony some time things you don’t believe can just happen. My name is Mrs Nzimande from East London am 45 years old i got married at the age of 23 i have only one child and i was living happily .After one year of my marriage my husband behavior became so strange and i didn’t really understand what was going on, he packed out of the house to another woman i loved him so much that i never dreamt of losing him, i tried all possible ways to make sure that my husband got back to me but all to no avail i cried and i cried seeking for help i discussed it with my best friend and she promise to help me she told me of a great woman based in Johannesburg who only specializes in bringing back lost lovers within 2 days and that she is trustworthy.She gave me her contacts +27635166352 gave her a call and i told her everything that happened all she told me was that i should not worry that all my problems would be solved immediately. She told me what to do to get my husband back and i did, she said after 3 days my husband would come back to me and start confessing, it really happened within that period she told me i was very surprised and very, very happy our relationship was now very tight and we both live happily again. Mama theres no way i can thank u apart from telling the whole world what u did for me .She also helps in financial blessing,winning lotto,promotion at work win court cases betting .Her contact +27635166352

© 2018 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.