EU, UN to observe polls: ED

President Emmerson Mnangagwa yesterday said the country was going into elections in July and that government would invite regional and international observers to monitor the elections.

By Stephen Chadenga

Addressing a Zanu PF rally in Mvuma in his home province of Midlands, Mnangagwa urged Zimbabweans to desist from violence during elections.

He said Zimbabweans were a peace-loving people and there was no need for any political party to engage in violence.

“We are going to have elections this year around July,” said Mnangagwa.

“We want a peaceful election and a transparent election. There is no reason for Zanu PF or any other political party to be violent.”

Mnangagwa said the elections were open for regional and international observers, including the European Union and United Nations because there was “nothing to hide.”

The president also said Zimbabwe could not afford to live in the past and should move forward and develop its economy for the benefit of citizens.
He said although the history of the country was important, it was also important for the country not to live in the past. It was time to open the country for investment by building a free economy that could benefit Zimbabweans, he said.

“Though remaining true to our past, it is time to boldly embrace the future,” Mnangagwa said.

“We are embarking on a journey towards investment to empower our people with skills, opportunities and jobs. A key part of this would be opening Zimbabwe for investment by building a free economy.”

Mnangagwa said the country’s economy was struggling with a high level of unemployment and lack of opportunities.

He said the majority of people could not afford essential goods for their families, hence the top priority of his government was to bring in foreign capital.

“Our infrastructure is stuck in the past and we must bring it to the present and the future,” he said.

Mnangagwa said he was deeply saddened by the poverty in the country and called on all Zimbabweans to work collectively to “resurrect the economy”.
He said those who engaged in corruption would be punished as the era of corruption going unpunished was over.

“The era of an inward looking Zimbabwe in which corruption goes unpunished is over,” he said.

“We must modernise, we must embrace foreign capital and create an environment that enables investors to come and invest.”

He said he was a servant of the people and would listen to people’s concerns as a public servant.

“I will be a listening President and not a talking President,” he said.

“My slogan is that the voice of the people is the voice of God. I share your vision and I am committed to share that vision.”

Mnangagwa said those who were in the G40 faction were welcome to re-join the party but that they should now be careful in their conduct as there would not be given another opportunity to reform.

7 Responses to EU, UN to observe polls: ED

1. khumalojulie February 11, 2018 at 9:36 am #

I never knew people still have powers and make things happened. My husband left me for another woman a year ago and ever since then my life have been filled with pains sorrow and heart break because he was my first love whom i have spent my entire life with. A friend of mine told me he saw some testimonies of a spiritualist called MAMA NOAH +27632454019 that She can bring back lover within some few days, i laughed out and said i am not interested but because of the love my friend had for me, she consulted MAMA NOAH on my behalf and to my greatest surprise after 1 week and 5 days my husband called me for the very first time after a full year that he is missing me and that he is so sorry for every thing he made me went through. He came back to me and now we are happy together. I still can’t believe it, because it was highly unbelievable. Thank you Mama Noah for bringing back my lover and also to my lovely friend who interceded on my behalf, for anyone who might need the help of this great spiritualist her number is +27632454019

2. smwatsi February 11, 2018 at 10:35 am #

Opening doors to foreign monitors and observers is the way to go. Let’s show the world that we have nothing to hide. Lead the way ED. Go ED go!!

3. tongesai February 11, 2018 at 12:46 pm #

Sure, that’s the way.

4. john February 11, 2018 at 1:27 pm #

as much as i agree with everything the president has been preaching since he took over, i’m a bit worried that he never emphasises the importance of reforms necessary for an election to be deemed fair, transparent and credible. he seems very focused on economic revival but m
    not on the culture of democracy. it is a democratic dispensation that can usher in an economic revival not the other way round. secondly it is equally important to put into motion a true nation building process, given what happened in the past both before independence and after. You cannot ignore the past especially when innocent people were killed largely because of the tribe they belonged to and the language they spoke, you can’t therefore say let bygones be bygones, forgive and forget, move on. it’s having a rape victim being asked by the man who raped her to forget and forgive. it does not work that way, at the least give an unconditional apology where possible say the truth and then start a healing and reconciliation process.

• Mr Mahoka February 11, 2018 at 9:52 pm #

@john that is very true. There is need for equal access by political parties to all forms of state media. Let us do away with media polarisation

5. Sharia February 11, 2018 at 2:01 pm #

Spot on #John. The country will not change because of what ED says and does. Its institutions must usher an era of what the voters desire. If the culture of violence, corruption, deceit, opportunism, entitlement still festers amongst society we remain doomed. The chiefs are guilty of opportunism, deceit and entitlement, so are ministers and MPs and a huge chunk of society. This must change.

6. Tman zimbabwe February 11, 2018 at 8:47 pm #

Pertaining to gukurahundi, the president has appointed a commission of inquiry(Peace and Reconcilliation Commission) responsible for disturbances in mat and midlands provinces, where Ndebeles and Shonas were killed or maimed. Results and decisions will be published once complete work is done.
    Pertaining to corruption: number one enemy is corruption. Unfortunately, the architects of corruption are still in govt and public institutions. A sad development though, but we hope and expect them to reform. It remains a big tusk for our President who should stick to his own words that there is no sacred cow. I praise the President for the route and measures he is taking to revive our shattered economy. God bless Zimbabwe. One day we will sing, ” Mwari makanaka.”

© 2018 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.