Revealed: How Grace got her ‘fake’ PhD

University of Zimbabwe (UZ) vice-chancellor Levi Nyagura allegedly took the institution’s lecturers to Grace Mugabe’s Mazowe orphanage so she could take oral examinations for her disputed Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree, a Harare court heard yesterday.

BY DESMOND CHINGARANDE

Nyagura (72) was arrested on Friday for alleged criminal abuse of office for his role in the awarding of the degree to the former first lady.

Harare magistrate Tilda Mazhande was told Nyagura single-handedly accepted the wife of former president Robert Mugabe’s application to study for the PhD without the knowledge of the UZ’s sociology department.

Prosecutor Oscar Madhume said in 2011 Nyagura approved Ntombizodwa G Marufu (Grace’s maiden name) application without the knowledge and recommendations of the departmental board and faculty of higher degrees committee in violation of UZ quality assurance guidelines and benchmark.

He said during the same period, Nyagura appointed Professor Claude Mararike and Professor Chaneta to supervise Grace without the knowledge and approval of the department.

Nyagura is accused of usurping the powers of the UZ senate by single-handedly appointing examiners for Mugabe’s research in violation of the UZ Act chapter 25:16 and Ordinance 1998/99.

Nyagura allegedly led supervisors and examiners to Mugabe’s Mazowe orphanage, where the defence oral examination was purportedly done without the knowledge and approval of the academic committee while in actual fact the examination is supposed to be done at the UZ premises.

The prosecution alleged that during the same year, Nyagura recommended to Mugabe that Grace should be awarded the PhD.

This was allegedly done without the knowledge of the UZ council and academic committee.

The sociology department distanced itself from both the candidate and awarding of the degree as it was done without their knowledge. Prosecutors said Grace did not meet the minimum requirements to study for the degree.

Nyagura, who is represented by advocate Lewis Uriri, pleaded not guilty to the charges and was remanded to March 5 on $200 bail.

As part of his bail conditions, Nyagura was ordered not to interfere with State witnesses who include lecturers.

11 Responses to Revealed: How Grace got her ‘fake’ PhD

1. DT February 18, 2018 at 12:28 pm #

It just puzzles me why someone who is not into research nor university teaching would want a Ph.D.?

• rafu February 18, 2018 at 3:17 pm #

Recognition. Grace knew Mugabe got huge respect for his many degrees and thought perhaps getting the ultimate qualification would endear her with the country as she chatted her path to power, to eventually replace him as the country’s leader.

• Sandra February 18, 2018 at 6:00 pm #

The “Dr” title.

She thought the title would add weight to the presidential bid.

2. Maduba Ncube February 18, 2018 at 12:53 pm #

Make the Prof squeal. He will soon sing like a canary….

3. Zvakanaka zvinodiwa February 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm #

Zvakanaka zvese kwandiri kusanyara

4. PTY February 18, 2018 at 1:57 pm #

Nyagura was playing to the gallery of the ex first lady without a clue of its quence quences – he must resign as vc and the degree withdrawn including the related gowns and she must be arrested for this and other misdemenours she has caused

5. Analysis February 18, 2018 at 4:57 pm #

WHat was Nyagura supposed to do? Those people had the power to control whomever they wished to control…. atleast he saved his life by accepting their bidding. … and that doesn’t give him pardon in any way …he is still guilty but he was just a puppet…grace’s husband was the chancellor afterall kkkk

6. Dr. E February 18, 2018 at 10:05 pm #

I would never understand why someone who has on several occasions displayed that she has no trace of a brain would want a PhD. What a disGrace

7. thabisa February 19, 2018 at 9:52 am #

I am so excited about what has happened lately and I cannot keep silent. Some of you know my life very well. You know how happy I and my family was. Those of you who have visited me at my home you know that i had everything a lady wishes for in life. Life was good but it is hard to explain how things changed for the worse so quickly. I first heard rumors that my man is seeing another woman. In a short time I found out that it was true. When I confronted him, he left me for that woman. He blocked me on all social networks. Luckily a caring old friend of mine May took me to this Mama Noah Love Spells Caster South Africa who had also helped her when she had a similar problem. She performed special prayers for me, cleansed me from bad luck & also fixed my financial problems. A few days after the rituals, my man came back home asking for forgiveness. I could not believe it. We recently got married and am so happy and excited. , I thank you my friend for standing with me. Friends, If you are having any problems in your life or marriage, protection, or Job spell. I also refer you to this wonderful Lady Mama Noah Love Spells Caster South Africa +27632454019

8. the thinker February 19, 2018 at 12:20 pm #

This is just the beginning of all the fraud they were doing.For your information this is called academic fraud.

9. Sagitarr February 19, 2018 at 4:48 pm #

Pride comes before a fall – Leyi Nyagura was arrogant. That’s where arrogance lands one – behind bars.

© 2018 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.