Mugabe drops ED ‘coup’ bombshell

Former president Robert Mugabe yesterday opened up about his ouster last year by the army, disclosing for the first time that some people were allegedly killed and others tortured as the 94-year-old politician piled up pressure on his successor, President Emmerson Mnangagwa.

BY XOLISANI NCUBE

Mugabe told close relatives and friends at a private birthday party at his Harare mansion, known as Blue Roof, that the army chose to side with Mnangagwa in what was essentially a Zanu PF dispute.

He disclosed that Mnangagwa had called him yesterday requesting that they meet urgently to discuss his situation but the deposed Zanu PF leader vowed to tell it as it is. This will be the first meeting between the two since Mugabe’s ouster.

Before narrating events leading to the dramatic military takeover on November 15 and his life after leaving office, Mugabe asked “the weak” to leave the venue as he was about to give graphic details of the fierce power struggles.

“Those who are afraid please leave.

This is an important issue and I will not mince my words,” the former Zanu PF leader said.

He said Mnangagwa wanted to meet him on his return from a state visit to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).

It was not immediately clear when the president will leave for the DRC.

“He told me this morning that he was going to the DRC where he has been invited by (President Joseph) Kabila, the son of the late leader Laurent Kabila,” he said.

He requested for a meeting and said he will bring along other leaders so that we could talk.

I said well, you can come. And he said he will do so when he returns from the DRC.”

Mugabe promised not to hold back during the meeting with Mnangagwa, saying the new rulers need to know that the takeover of power with the help of the military was illegal and detrimental to democracy.

“I will tell them the truth that what you did was illegal.

You abused the people, beat up people,” he told the crowd that was stunned into silence.

“I know you were told not to talk about this, but I will say it because it is the truth.

“People were injured, some were killed. They came here with bruises; some with their heads injured, and told us that some of them had been killed.

“I will tell them the truth.”

He said Vice-President Constantino Chiwenga, who was the army commander at the time, took sides with Mnangagwa in the Zanu PF factional wars and “rolled out tanks against the people.”

“Because we had a misunderstanding with one of my vice-presidents, Emmerson, the army with Chiwenga decided to take out tanks into the streets.

This is not what we fought for,” he charged.

“We did not fight for people to be threatened like what happened, it’s sad.

“Those tanks you saw, I last saw them in 1939-1945 during the war period.

I asked, ‘are we in a war period, why go to war against your own people?

Why do that? Because of power!’”

Mugabe said during the negotiations with the military commanders after they had placed him under house arrest, they claimed that people were on the streets demanding his ouster.

“They said to me people have marched, they want you to go.

They said they have filled the stadium demanding that I should go, I said: Which people, MDC people?

“What about those in Kadoma, what about those in Mutare, did you ask them? People were being beaten; the soldiers were beating up our intelligence guys saying you are paid higher than us,” he added.

“You wear good suits, hence you are protecting Mugabe.

Ahh, they don’t know that you don’t need to be educated to be a soldier; normally soldiers are recruited from Grade Seven or Form Two while the intelligence team is recruited from those who are educated.

“It should follow that when one is educated with a degree or ‘A’ Level you should be paid higher than those who are just recruited as long as they can be trained.”

Mugabe said contrary to claims by Mnangagwa that he was being treated with respect, his family was being abused.

“They say Mugabe is a legend.

What legend are you talking about when you are busy taking away the vehicles?

They say they want to protect my legacy, which legacy are they talking about? Doing the opposite of what we fought for,” he charged.

“The boys and girls who used to work with us have been withdrawn, vehicles being taken from us.

“What legacy when they have expelled me from the party?

This girl here, my wife, is no longer a member of Zanu PF, so what legacy are you talking about?

Why fear this girl (pointing at Grace)? She is just young, but they took the tanks to fight her,” Mugabe said before breaking into laughter.

“When Mnangagwa called, I addressed him as president and he said no, ‘don’t address me as president, call me by my first name, Emmerson’. I said no you are the president, this is what you are.

“Isn’t this what you wanted?” (Laughs).

He then pleaded with me and I said ‘anyway, I will call you ED since this is what newspapers call you.’”

He said the new administration was persecuting Grace by charging people linked to the awarding of her alleged fake Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degree.

“They are busy fighting the degree which we all helped her achieve,” Mugabe said.

“Even if you were to withdraw the degree, does it change anything?

She will remain Mai Mugabe. That will not change.”

Mugabe said during the standoff with the military last November, Chiwenga tried to reconcile him with Mnangagwa to no avail.

“Let me give credit to Chiwenga, he tried to have me engage Mnangagwa, but [Mnangagwa] said, ‘the people have spoken’, I am quoting what he said.

“Which people? MDC people? What about those not in Harare? So today the people we must listen to are opposition supporters? What happened to congress?

“They now want to work with me for elections, can they be trusted again?

Ohh, can our people trust them again? Can our people vote for such a Zanu PF, a Zanu PF which shredded the constitution?

I don’t know.

“What are we going to tell them? Are they going to convince them that this is what we did? “Speak the truth that people died, that people were intimidated by the gun? I don’t know.”

Mugabe said Zanu PF’s chances of winning this year’s elections were slim following the military takeover.

“We are sorry, we misled our people. We are sorry we deceived them.

I am talking even on behalf of Emmerson who does not want to be called president by me, we deceived our people,” he added.

“We need to apologise and say the truth to them.

I don’t know with the time left whether we are able to do that and unite the people.

But first things first, they must accept and apologise that what they did was wrong.

“It is not what we fought for.

Then we can start to talk on the way forward.

But I doubt if our people will forgive us. I doubt if they will be trusted again.”

The party, whose theme was “celebrating our hero”, was organised by Mugabe’s family after they spurned an offer from Zanu PF to host the celebrations.

Guests, who included former Cabinet ministers, captains of industry and fired Zanu PF officials, went through thorough searching at the gates of the imposing mansion.

Mugabe ended his address by chanting a slogan “Pamberi nekubatana, pamberi nebirthday, pamberi navaMugabe, pasi nevanoda kuvanetsa [Forward with unity, forward with the birthday, forward with Mugabe, down with those who want to trouble him].”

43 Responses to Mugabe drops ED ‘coup’ bombshell

1. Chen Chikezha February 25, 2018 at 4:13 pm #

Nxaaa, rest old man, I am not MDC but I was tired of you. Even you were you not tired, what unit are you talking about when the same MDC people you talk of were killed during your reign? People were disappearing saka chashamisa nhasi with these 30 or so who were tortured chiyi? Be a man “indoda sibilI” and swallow a chill pill because Zimbabwe is interesting with you out of the equation. To be honest you have been loosing elections since 2000 but was doing a coup with the same tanks you claim to have last seen in 1945.
    Kukura wuuya chokwadi, you forgetting the day you said if the police say move you should move or else unodashugwa…is this the unity you talking of?
    Without you Zanu will lose better with you not even a single vote except from your family.

2. DT February 25, 2018 at 4:32 pm #

What he he is saying is the truth. I doubt if they will ever be democracy again in this country.

• Aikona February 25, 2018 at 7:20 pm #

you are a completely delusional fool. You never had democracy under Mugabe – why you so stupid, did you go to school?

• Tino February 26, 2018 at 1:37 am #

There waaaaaaaaaaas never democracy under Mugabe. He and Grace should just chill as we fix the country. They have 10 farms ngavaende kunorima uko.

• Orlando February 26, 2018 at 8:19 am #

Was it ever there?

• dennis moto February 26, 2018 at 10:02 am #

Rubbish, mugabe can preach democracy to anyone. he is the worst dictator this world has seen. after all he poisoned tsvangirai over a cup of tea in 2011. nxaaaaaa!

3. bongozozo waparara February 25, 2018 at 4:57 pm #

The Standard newspaper will soon become toilet paper for these scandalous reports and acres of space you give to Mugabe. Munoda tiite sei kandi. Can you be an editor who doesn’t if know objectivity. Ungaita basa rokuteverera chimudhara chakuda kufa uchisiya development yenyika here? Leave the idealogically bankrupt Mugabe to leak his wounds and sip his poisonous Gushungo ice cream mhani iwe reporter. Murikutishungurudza with your continuous coverage of ghosts and spooks of our past. Stop this nonsense.

4. tomboriro jabwisi February 25, 2018 at 6:08 pm #

Mugabe must just take a chill pill and enjoy life without power,in fact mnangagwa must put Mugabe mumatapi ambonakigwa arimo

5. Musona February 25, 2018 at 6:19 pm #

Robert Mugabe used to think he was smart but on this occasion he was outsmarted by Emmerson. He is very bitter contrary to false reports he resigned willingly. It’s very painful that someone he appointed has ousted him. Mugabe must be thinking – “What was I thinking appointing this man as Vice-President?” He still thinks he can have his job back.

6. TheKIng February 25, 2018 at 7:42 pm #

Was there ever democracy in this country?

7. Luke Dube February 25, 2018 at 7:52 pm #

Vatanga ka their rigging tricks, kuda kubvisa our focus on the election and they start rigging them like what they did with baba Jukwa and Nikuv. This time Zimbabweans let these dogs buk and buk never mind them, they are now toothless lions. We will focus on casting our ballots and select freely and fairly the rite person we want. Stop wasting time listening to these cowards. Ngavarovane Vega, isusu wen we marched we know who we were and what we did, the whole country marched and we won. Let the whole country vote and we win again.

8. Totorito February 25, 2018 at 8:03 pm #

Gushungo ko chingokuraika muchengetwe munyerere kadoma hatitode kukuona mdara iwe

9. pito February 25, 2018 at 8:26 pm #

Even Ian Douglas Smith was not treated the way RGM was treated, shame on us blacks. We are busy fighting RGM instead of being productive on the farms luckily I have enough land in my rural area and I even pay my yearly dues to my sabhuku. Time will tell. Common sense does not require tutors like me to impart to you, either you have it or you don’t. No two ways about it.

10. Tito February 25, 2018 at 8:37 pm #

Kanzwa bhata.

11. mike juliet February 25, 2018 at 8:40 pm #

Old and tired.Always interested in conflict

12. mike juliet February 25, 2018 at 8:49 pm #

Talking carelessly .This speech could make him disappear if it was Mugabe ‘s era.So Mugabe and family are the only Zanu Pf in Harare because they are theonly missing on that demonstration which included the .Ilitary.Mugabe dont cause trouble in thecountry because you will cause more trouble to that girlfriend and family

13. Apolitical February 26, 2018 at 1:45 am #

I am not an MDC member neither do i support MDC, I marched on the 18th of November not for MDC or ED but for MUGABE TO GO. I was not alone, i was with friends who are also apolitical like me…they also wanted bob to go. I was seating at home when i thought to myself, i owe to my children to be counted amongst those that secure the future of this nation by helping the army in topppling the evil mugabe dynasty. The economy is still bad in zim but i find joy in the fact that the chief architect of our plight is licking his wounds permanently at home, far away from the driving seat of our great nation.

Asante Sana to the army!

14. Chief February 26, 2018 at 4:18 am #

We were tired of a Zanu PF under RG Mugabe, your unceremonoius exit was most welcome and your utterancces only save to spell doom for you and your family.You are the main reason why Zimbabwe is were it is today…………..we shall not be destructed by your selfish statements that are meant at sowing division and hatred amongst peace loving Zimbabweans………..You were given a chance that you misused to the detriment of the entire nation………………we only have a few words for you…………………..SHUT UP
    Zimbabwe will never be the same again…………..

15. Gushpower February 26, 2018 at 7:06 am #

It’s clear that the old man is launching a preemptive strike. His aim is to dissuade the government from correcting the ills which occurred during his rule. The old Fox is interfering with the investigation of the fake degree and the twenty farms Which he owns. Shiri must plough on undeterred and redistribute the farms.

16. DISC February 26, 2018 at 7:33 am #

You always hated soldiers from the liberation struggle, i wonder how you led them and they accepted your leadership taking it from your speech that they are grade 7s and thats an insult to the army. Security duties are the same whether one is a police officer, a CIO operative or a soldier and that doesnt mean you have to treat them differently whilst they protected you for 37years. And those who were supporting you for all these years didnt see that you are such an idiot. Stop treating this monster with kids glove he deserves to be in jail. if he is jail i dont think he will be talking like this, infact he will be dead.

17. spikili February 26, 2018 at 7:40 am #

There is no truth in what he was talking about, he exhibited utter ignroance and lake of knowledge about street level Zimbabwe. Why does he think it was the MDC marching in November. those guys with shiny suits really did him wrong by feeding him Misinformation. Masvingo province voted against him and did not endorse him, that month people were persecuted and others arrested. PLEASE JOURNALISTS BVUNZAI MIBVUNZO CHAIYO KWETE YAKAZORWA BUTTER IYO!

18. machakachaka February 26, 2018 at 7:48 am #

“Those tanks, I last saw them in 1939-1945 during the war……..” Does Bob forget that during the food riots of 1998, he ordered tanks onto the streets. Surely either age has really caught up with him or he is a plain liar. He wants to pretend that he is better than Mnangagwa, but we surely know that political space has been opened up a bit under Mnangagwa, although more needs to be done. The worst years of oppression in Zimbabwe were 1960 to 1979, and then 1985 to November 2017. Although he is very old, I think Mr Mugabe still remembers the two or three gentlemen who took turns to ruin our lives during these periods.

19. PATSIKAMBADA February 26, 2018 at 8:13 am #

Cyclone Chamisa the election is yours to lose. Zanu is dead and buried . Zanu pf should vote for Chamisa to protect the legacy of Mugabe

• Pied Piper February 26, 2018 at 9:27 am #

Robert is a sick old man he thinks “this girl’sic girlfriend specialist is special.its over its over even if it was MDC marching,are they not zimbabbweans is zimbabwe for zanu pf only.he needs lynching for sure

20. Fidelis February 26, 2018 at 8:37 am #

Saka Mugabe akabviswa nemagrade 7 shuwa neDegree ese aanawo!

21. cccccccccccc February 26, 2018 at 9:02 am #

Cde Mugabe is correct. Zimbabwe knows no democracy since 1980, first it was a genocide in matabeleland and Midlands, secondly it was lynching of white farmers, Mdc supporters by Mugabe cabal that included Emmerson mnagagwa, chiwenga, mohadi etc

22. Hamandishe February 26, 2018 at 9:21 am #

Thank you Lord for giving RGM long life now that he is seeing the success of his enemies. May he live to 100 so he sees the “grade 7 ” generation repairing the damages he created Where were you Mr former president when the tanks were rolling in this country in 1980? What torture sir, remember the short sleeves and long sleeves in 2008? Please do not remind us of the blood we lost in 2008.

23. Basilio Zibwowa February 26, 2018 at 9:56 am #

Pliz just save the newspaper’s stay on the market by avoiding to give a page to the old and akark man’s warfuling.

24. Soja February 26, 2018 at 10:05 am #

Zvino rwadza kubviswa panyanga. He thought he was a god. We will shame you Robert by voting for ED. We were fools to keep you in power for so long.

25. gwena February 26, 2018 at 10:33 am #

This old man must wake up from his wet day dream. He should actually feel proud that he is still around and people have forgiven him . What killing is he talking about when his hands are the once full of blood. Where is Tonderai Ndira,Dzamara,Rex Nhongo,Tongoara etc.

26. mhlanga February 26, 2018 at 10:33 am #

Basically I had a love for almost six months. I was very much in love, but he decided to leave me one day and went with another woman. I was the one on the wrong. I had neglected him for a long time. My thoughts started centralizing on his departure and I started to find ways to win him back. I tried to talk to him but nothing happened. His decision was strong and firm, but even before I knew, he already was dating someone else. I tried everything, flowers, gifts, calls but none of them was successful. They had already spent nearly three months and he was beginning to forget about me. i was really left left on hang for several times, but deep down i knew i loved him and i had nothing to do apart from helping my ownself. Not until on a one good lucky day, as i was seated in my office. i tried to find on the internet the few people who can help solve love problems. i tried afew until one week later when i spoke to a certain lady called Mama Noah+27632454019. She’s the only lady that helped me capture this gentleman’s attention once again. and within a two weeks times i had already got him back and now we are looking forward for the future. You can as well contact the lady who helped me through her telephone numbers that i listed above. thank you for your time you’ve spent reading this. Lord bless you

27. The Messenger February 26, 2018 at 11:58 am #

I don’t usually do this but I wish ROBERT MUGABE AND HIS DISGRACE of a wife ROT IN HELL…amen

28. maita February 26, 2018 at 12:48 pm #

So to this old man what he says the people are his wife, chombo, kasukuwere, ,moyo and him the rest of the population who were happy to see his back are not ‘the people’. He thinks imposing his wife was right, having state affairs being controlled by his wife, kutoti “those who are weak leave”, he should have said “those who are wise leave.” because this message needed idiots.

29. Chamu February 26, 2018 at 1:05 pm #

Before he says anything, can he tell us who killed Chitepo, J Z Moyo, J.M Tongogara, and many thousand others and then the most recent Dzamara?

Robert Gabrial Mugabe ngaagare pasi. Tichamutonga zvedu kunge nguva yakwana.

30. tongesai February 26, 2018 at 2:26 pm #

Kanorwara kamudhara aka.Nyorai dzimwe nyaya dont give him attention. Waste of time

31. Phew! February 26, 2018 at 3:55 pm #

Somone should remind the old man how people suffered under him and that he was only there for there for thi selfish greedy family

32. Commander Guvamatongo February 26, 2018 at 3:58 pm #

The gun has always led politics in our land sine the era of Monomutapa, Lebenula, Smith and Mugabe rule. Just to refresh the old man’s memory:

1. Magagao Declaration in 1975 toppled Ndabaningi Sithole and installed Robert Matibili Chatunga Mugabe.

2.ZANLA reversed the Lancaster House decision where our great hero Joshua Chibwechitedza Nkomo was supposed to lead a united Patriotic Front into election in 1980. This is where the disaster we have up to now started and even visionaries like Tongogara were against having Mugabe as leader of a free Zimbabwe and was the reason he was killed.

3. The straight Jacket’ statement in 2002 was a coup against MDC’s Tsangirai

4. An outright coup happened in 2008 after Tsvangirai had won elections

33. wechirongwa February 26, 2018 at 5:19 pm #

So sorry Mr former President.
    You remain an icon baba Mugabe. The way you are on people’s lips is sign enough of your being an icon. I will continue to sympathise with you for the unceremonious exit granted to you. But well, pholisa inhliziyo mdala, IT SHALL BE WELL.

I for one, will maintain my stance, you were a great leader, known the world over for being a steady, untossing leader. Yes you might have done mistakes, but definitely, like everyone else, because no one does not err, thus why Jesus once said, “He who is without sin let him cast the first stone,” and none remained to cast a stone, because “errare est humanum”
    We will respect you sir, don’t mind the insults, some of us who are still cultured are still here, who know that OLD PEOPLE can never be insulted.

ALL WELL former president ALL WELL

34. pito February 27, 2018 at 8:29 am #

wechirongwa:

Thank you for realizing, acknowledging, accepting, knowing and following God. Thank you the light of God will continue shining no matter people like darkness. Darkness is so scary.

35. MAMA February 27, 2018 at 8:20 pm #

My name is stinah i was married for five years without any child, because of this, my husband started acting very strange at home, coming home lately and not spending time with me anymore. and because of this, my husband divorced me. So i became very sad and lost hope in life because my doctor told me there was no way for me to get pregnant this really made life so hard for me and my family.my friend told me about mama Janet from the Internet, how they have helped people with this similar problem that i was going through so i contacted them and explained them.she cast a reunite spell to bring back my husband and it was a miracle three days later my husband came back to me and apologized for all he has done and told me he is fully ready to support me in any thing i want,a few months later i got pregnant and gave birth to twins (boys) we are happy with ourselves. Thanks, mama for saving my relationship and for also saving others too. continue your good work, If you are interested to contact her and testify this blessing like me, the great spell caster You can Contact her now for your relationship or marriage problems or whatsap her +27670533178

36. Musa March 3, 2018 at 10:12 pm #

specialized and dedicated traditional healer for all relationship problems .
    I have helped many people in south africa and abroad through long distance healing , guidance , cure, protection and marriage.
    *preventing divorce and family fights .
    *Love binding to make your partner listen and love you alone.
    Bring back lost love or partner sameday service.
    my specialties include,Amend broken hearts,bring back lost love,get married,control cheaters,stop divorce,win court cases,palm reader,see your enemies in a mirror,job promotion,get tenders and contracts,win casino,spells caster,get a baby and all problems.
    CALL or WHATSAPP +27710391547
    Email: musamusa071039154@gmail.com

37. ropa rechimurenga March 4, 2018 at 9:11 am #

This useless Old man should not be given space to say trash. There was no democracy under him. he destroyed a once prosperous country with his family and his idiotic wife. He was left us in poverty whilst his family was was enjoying, He practiced the Mugabeism where poverty and cronyism was the order of the day. That was animal farm. How did he get 13 farms , he should just return them to the people. Xaaaaa anotigumbura munhu uyu. I am in the rural area but i do not love him.

38. addmore gudo March 4, 2018 at 12:07 pm #

So Mugabe tacitly admitted the phd for Grace was fake;only lamented its investigation & also only implicated Mnangagwa in the mishap-“we all helped her obtain it”.We hope he would have provided further insights or evidence as per say on how properly it was actually gotten.Shame on our national leaders; they trick us to such astronomical level.Now it means Ngwena is also involved in issuing fake degrees.Why did Mugabe not provide proper evidence as some one in the know-husband,former chancellor of the same university& former head of state for that matter to the effect that it was obtained properly & normal and not fraudulent

© 2018 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.