ED ally pulls poll shocker

President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s special advisor Christopher Mutsvangwa has been given a respite and will no longer be subjected to an internal Zanu PF election in his bid to represent Norton constituency after his rival, who trounced him in primary elections, pulled out yesterday.

BY NUNURAI JENA /XOLISANI NCUBE

Mutsvangwa threw a tantrum a fortnight ago after he was beaten by the unheralded Langton Mutendereki in chaotic primary elections.

The war veterans’ leader accused Zanu PF commissar, retired general Engelbert Rugeje, of engineering his defeat and claimed a faction loyal to former president Robert Mugabe still controlled ruling party structures.

He warned that Mnangagwa would lose the election if action was not taken against Rugeje and Zanu PF subsequently reversed the outcome of the Norton poll, along nine other constituencies.

Mutsvangwa had been expected to slug it out with Mutendereki before the new comer’s surprise decision to withdraw from the race amid revelations of behind the scenes

manoeuvring to ensure the former War Veterans minister had a clean passage.

According to sources, the Zanu PF Mashonaland West provincial coordinating committee (PCC) meeting that met yesterday was given an instruction to ensure Mutsvangwa was not contested.

“We are going into this meeting with a clear instruction, comrade, we have to ensure that the special advisor is uncontested in the re-run. This is because he had no time to campaign and he is very busy travelling with the president while other candidates had time to do so,” said a member of the PCC before the meeting in Chinhoyi yesterday.
“So the instruction is that he has to go uncontested,” added the source, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Mutsvangwa emerged all smiles from the PCC meeting and declared that the province had done “the correct thing.”

“I feel happy because this is what the Mashonaland West leadership and the people of Norton wanted,” he said.

“It was investigated and the technical team saw that the initial elections were not done according to the laid-down rules and regulations.

“I never forced anyone to quit, he [Mutendereki] withdrew voluntarily and he is part of my campaign team.”

However, reports started emerging on Thursday that Mutendereki was under pressure to throw in the towel.

On Friday, Mutendereki told this publication that he had not yet made up his mind about taking part in the fresh primaries.

Mutendereki said he was “only representing the wishes and aspirations of Norton people”.

“It’s a decision that I can’t make alone remember there are thousands of people who voted for me, not only that some helped me with resources,” he said.
“Phone me tomorrow around 9am and I will give you enough information.”

Yesterday Mutendereki was not answering his mobile phone.

Mutsvangwa is likely to face his old foe Temba Mliswa, an independent candidate, and the MDC Alliance in the polls expected between July and August.
The ex-diplomat said he was confident of beating the former Zanu PF Mashonaland West chairperson.

“Mliswa is just a loud mouth, just wait and see how we are going to reduce him to size,” he said.

“Remember credit should go to MDC-T supporters and war vets who helped him by campaigning in all the wards because they didn’t want [Robert] Mugabe’s rule.”

Meanwhile, Zanu PF will tomorrow hold fresh primary elections in Chegutu West and East, Zvimba North and South, Harare South and Glen View South, among other constituencies.

The re-runs were ordered after reports of alleged rigging, manipulation of the internal voters’ roll as well as failure by other party members to vote due to logistical challenges.

19 Responses to ED ally pulls poll shocker

1. Musekadara May 13, 2018 at 6:58 am #

DEEPLY DISAPPOINTED . I WOULD HAVE LOVED SEEING MUTSVANGWA SLUG IT OUT WITH THE REST OF THE ZANU -PF ASPIRANTS TO SHOW HIS POLITICAL MANTLE. HE HAS LOST MY RESPECT AND HE SHOULD NEVER STAND UP AND ACCUSE ANYONE OF BEING CORRUPT AND DICTATORIAL

• Wilson Twice May 15, 2018 at 4:25 pm #

wait and see how he is gonig to fall, viva Cde. Mliswa

2. Biata Nyamupinga May 13, 2018 at 8:46 am #

New Dispensation ka askana! kkkkkkk. Seka zvako chizukuru chayonini

3. Biata Nyamupinga May 13, 2018 at 8:47 am #

Mahumbwe chaiwo!

4. Majokweni Majokweni May 13, 2018 at 8:53 am #

Mutsvangwa is too toxic. Norton is gone either to Mliswa or MDC. Mnangagwa must deal with his so called Special Adviser. Special Adviser my foot!

5. Axe May 13, 2018 at 9:11 am #

Had thought Mutsvangwa is an intelligent person who should know the implications of being imposed after electoral defeat. And who says he is a special advisor? What sort of advice does he give when he is involved in this?

6. chiremba wematombo May 13, 2018 at 9:48 am #

And you think with this sort of situation, zanu is going to allow ballot and voting transparency????

7. Ben Maricho May 13, 2018 at 11:48 am #

Bad decision to impose Mutsvangwa on the people of Norton.

8. vision May 13, 2018 at 12:49 pm #

This is the worlds best / worst case of an imposed candidate. Anyway l think this will actually reduce zanupf chances of winning Norton because of such a disgusting act by Chris

9. Chapwiti May 13, 2018 at 1:04 pm #

May God hear the cry of the people of zimbabwe!!!!

10. Makororo Hatichadi May 13, 2018 at 2:15 pm #

ED is an owned man. He owes too many favors, the chips will always be cashed in & he’ll have to oblige.

• Mondy Moyo May 13, 2018 at 3:34 pm #

Thats exactly whats happening here. Remember it was Mutswanga who wrote that letter for him while he was in exile in RSA. Its pay back time for those not in the know!!!

let him face off with Mliswa. Its going to be an interesting show.

11. DT May 13, 2018 at 3:37 pm #

Zanu pf extremely captured by the military and the war veterans. We now miss bob who could not tolerate such nonsense!

12. Ntokozo Nyathi May 13, 2018 at 6:46 pm #

Cde Mutswangwa believe me the people who pushed that boy aside are not genuine they won’t help you win the constituency. Do the same to Cde Mahiya where Tongai will wipe him to zero OR why not create two constituences in Harare South to save the face of this Cde.

13. Bolt May 13, 2018 at 10:55 pm #

Mutsvangwa will soon experience the heat of the alliance or heat from Mliswa it was better to accept those primaries than to face the humiliation he is going to face on by-elections.

14. Sipendu May 14, 2018 at 7:57 am #

Mutswangva will be soundly thrashed in the election.

15. tongesai May 14, 2018 at 9:59 am #

‘He came out of the meeting smiling and said Mtendereki had not been forced to withdraw’. Idiots. You think you are talking to kindergarten learners. Shameless politicians.

16. GTI May 14, 2018 at 5:05 pm #

Mahumbwe akadai handisati ndakambomaona shuwa. Zim irikutambiswa mahumbwe. This Chris guy must be punished heavily for his dirty decision to overide Mutendereki by using ED as his weapon.

17. m May 19, 2018 at 4:11 pm #

Am blessed with the results from mama’s love spells +27614426924
    Am Amanda 37 years from Capetown, I used to leave in abusive relationship because I was not “conceiving” or not able to get pregnant and i got married in 2007,my lovely man had totally turned into something else, anything small could cause a fight we could rarely talk at home, he no longer respected me, he used to cheat on me and always communicated with women and he wanted to end our relationship because he wanted to see children at home . I pleaded and begged him but his answer were…am tired of you, leave my life I realised that it was out of my hand I nearly committed suicide. I had nursed this broken relationship and burren for over 10 years a friend of mine introduced me to mama After breaking down in tears when I was telling her what am going through. Mama totally changed my life Through A SPECIAL PRAYER OVER THE PHONE because she was far from me so I decided to just call her. surprisingly she told me not to worry all she asked was to follow her guidelines and procedures which I did she asked for my names and my husband ’s name she then revealed to me that my man was being used by another women who was using witchcraft on him she revealed to me the name of this women and it was his E-X that was destroying our happiness.
    In less than 12hours my husband confessed to me and I forgave him cause it was not him to blame.After all that i finally made it and I’m now 8 months pregnant and I did check up in the hosipital that I’m carrying twins .thanks alot sir God bless you
    Are you going through difficulties in your relationship?
    Is your man cheating on you?
    Are you looking forward to have kids and u can’t fall pregnant
    Am truly letting the world to know about mama how she changed my life
    Call or whatsapp her on +27614426924