ED reveals Chamisa offer

President Emmerson Mnangagwa has revealed plans to give his MDC Alliance rival Nelson Chamisa official recognition as the leader of the opposition in an attempt to mend bridges after a divisive election.

BY XOLISANI NCUBE

Chamisa has refused to recognise Mnangagwa as the winner of the July 31 presidential elections, claiming the polls were rigged in favour of the Zanu PF leader.

However, in the first indication that a deal to end the political impasse is on the horizon, the president told the United States-based Bloomberg TV, that he was considering opposition leader perks.

“Under our Commonwealth parliamentary democracy, the opposition is recognised; we recognise the leader of the opposition in Parliament. This is what we are going to do ourselves,” Mnangagwa said.

“But under the former administration, there was no formal recognition of the opposition leader but now under my administration, we are embracing the Commonwealth approach to parliamentary democracy where we recognise the leader of the opposition who is given certain conditions and perks in Parliament.”

The plan to give Chamisa official recognition was first revealed a month ago, but was never confirmed by the government.

Britain and other countries that were reportedly eager to see a quick resolution to the political impasse were said to be behind the proposal.

Chamisa’s spokesperson Nkululeko Sibanda yesterday said the MDC Alliance leader was open to dialogue with anyone “who wants to move the country forward”.

“The president has made it clear that he had been mandated by the national council to engage in nation-building dialogue with anyone who wants to take this country forward,” he said.

“The dialogue is based on five principles, which he has made public. At the moment, no one has come forward and knocked at his door for dialogue. If Zanu PF thinks it can knock, they are welcome.”

Mnangagwa is in New York for the United Nations general assembly where he will make his maiden address this week.

Meanwhile, the president told CNN in another interview on Friday that although his victory margin was narrow, he had the mandate to lead the country for the next five years.

“Yes indeed, in terms of our constitution and in terms of Commonwealth parliamentary democracy, it is first past the post and I had 50,6%, my nearest contender had 44%,” he said.

“I think and in terms of our constitution I won the election although the victory is very narrow as you said.

“I agree, I hope that as we go forward and as we open up Zimbabwe both economically and politically, I think the policies we are putting forward, people will understand that we are doing better. But if indeed the opposition have a better message than us at the next election, the people will support them.”

He pledged not to cling to power like his predecessor Robert Mugabe, saying he would step down after two terms.

“I would like to entrench constitutionalism in Zimbabwe,” Mnangagwa said.

“I will abide by that without any iota of resistance at all. even if the people would love me to the hill, I will still go away because I believe constitutionalism is very important and, in fact, you must give your people a chance to have others coming in, 10 years is not a short period.”

He insisted that attempts were made to kill him through poisoning at the height of a succession war in Zanu PF last year.

“Well, I was poisoned, and up to today, I don’t know, I was for two days (in serious condition) and after that poisoning, one of my current vice-presidents (Constantino Chiwenga) was quick enough to fly me to South Africa where I was saved,” the president said.

Mnangagwa took over from Mugabe in November last year following a coup led by Chiwenga days after the then vice-president had been fired from government and Zanu PF.

12 Responses to ED reveals Chamisa offer

1. tha September 23, 2018 at 8:52 am #

If ED plays things right, he could really end being the hero that saves the day.

2. Musona September 23, 2018 at 12:07 pm #

@ tha, ED has always been a hero and will always be one.He’s the only reason why I retraced my steps from MDC to ZANU PF.

• Mherekiya September 23, 2018 at 12:24 pm #

liar, no MDC supporter (present or former) supports any Zanoids

• Chen Chikezha September 23, 2018 at 4:45 pm #

He was never a hero for us who bore his ruthlessness and yes if he lives by his word he may be a hero to some of us too. He and Chiwenga were Mugabe’s enforcers including Perence thus the heroism will come from 17th November 2017 going forward, time will tell

3. Kuwiriranakwakanakakugarakunzwanana Garanewakomurudohamandishe September 23, 2018 at 12:30 pm #

ndovasina dzakanyatsoti kwese kukwana. Dayi tose tinedzakakwana pasina anoita zvisina maturo. Nyaya iyi ahina kutanga nhasi. Nditi Mumiririri weBhiriteni akawonana navaChamisa, akawonanazve navaMnangagwa vakakurukura nezvazvo. YES WE CAN SWIM TOGETHER AS A NATION AND CROSS THE DIP BLACK SEA. YES WE CAN SWIM!!! YES WE CAN SWIM!!!

4. Kuwiriranakwakanakakugarakunzwanana Garanewakomurudohamandishe September 23, 2018 at 12:33 pm #

Comment……Kunetsana kwavaMnangagwa navaChamisa ukoka, kunenge kwasekuru nemuzukuru. Mukati pakati paviri ava hapana ukama hwemutowo uyu? Dayi ndichiwana kana kukwanisa ndakurukura navo ndanzwisa. Asi mawonero anguwoka, pane ukama apa. Kungoti chete vamwe vevatsigiri vemapato ezvematongerwo enyika

5. toti September 23, 2018 at 1:50 pm #

correct

6. Timothy Thorton September 23, 2018 at 5:25 pm #

He chose the Presidency and lost. He new the consequences.

7. Edgar Maita September 23, 2018 at 5:59 pm #

if I was Mnanangagwa I will step down before 2023 so that I will record a hundred win on elections.

8. chiredzo September 23, 2018 at 8:33 pm #

PEOPLE should never be so naive to think that the crocodile will sudenly turn into a saint.that man is cruel to the bone.In Kwekwe he terrorised all and sundry burning ppl’s houses beating
    and murdering opposition supporters with Mudha(owen ncube) commandeering his Al shabab hit squad made up of mainly unemployed and uneducated youth taken from surroundind rural areas like Zhombe who were rewarded with mining claims and access to private mines and companies to do as they wished.today Kwekwe is a dangerous place because of these korokozas who do not value human life.Now as a reward for his ruthlessness and murders Owen Ncube has been rewarded with the position of Minister of State security despite that he did not even complete his O levels.i see more ppl disappearing.

9. mandonsela September 24, 2018 at 5:32 am #

Coming from a christian background, i never believed in Spiritualists or ever imagined that i would get the help of a traditional healersangoma. Having been employed for 9 years in the same position, training new comers that join the company, get promoted and am still stuck in the same position no matter how hard i worked or applications i placed in every time there was an opportunity, this got me so stressed.At home it was not any different, my relationship was sour, we had tried for 7 years to conceive but in vain. I visited so many hospitals, used various herbs but still never conceived and husband was seeking a separation because of the family pressure,one day on social media my long time friend living in DURBAN got in touch with me,a few days later i opened up to her about what was happening in my life,she advised me to try this powerful traditional healer that had helped sometime back,i was hesitant at first because i did not like the idea of going to a traditional healer,i thought for a while about contacting this person, then decided to give it a try, so i called Her(MAAMA THANDY) the traditional healer on +27814476165, lucky for me she was available to see me and she was in the same country.Long story short,she helped me a lot,i got a much better job in the company i had long wanted to work in,with a very good pay, my husband paid lobola at home, our wedding is next year january and i am soon setting up my first side big business(Beauty Shop) anywhere i want. I must say my perception was totally wrong, if you need help too don’t wait till its too late contact Healer on +27814476165

10. Sody Kurungira September 24, 2018 at 7:37 am #

ED’s attempts at comedy are not funny at all. The old chap goes all the way to America to announce that he is going to offer Chamisa “opposition leader perks.” What nonsense.
    So he is going to change the constitution in order to bribe Chamisa into silence? If Chamisa accepts the offer then he would have revealed that he is also a greedy chap. If he accepts he will suffer the same fate as Tsvangirai whose political star faded after he was tricked into a GNU by Mugabe. He became a compromised and scandalized figure.
    It’s amusing that ED tries to be a super patriot and democrat yet even kids know that he is neither.

© 2019 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.