Gukurahundi film opens can of worms

A new documentary film on the Matabeleland and Midlands atrocities soon after Zimbabwe’s independence claims the mass killings were probably planned before independence.

BY STAFF REPORTER

The film by Bulawayo-based journalist Zenzele Ndebele, titled Gukurahundi Genocide 36 Years Later, was launched in the city last night.

Ndebele interviewed Zapu and Zipra stalwarts, including Dumiso Dabengwa, former dissidents, a former 5th Brigade soldier, victims of rape and a villager who was detained at the Bhalagwe “concentration” camp in Matabeleland South.

Dabengwa said he believed the military campaign targeting the late vice-president Joshua Nkomo’s Zapu supporters was planned by “both Zanu and I want to think the British were involved”.

Dabengwa and other prominent Matabeleland leaders attended the launch of the documentary.

In the film, former Zipra fighter Vincent Hillary Ndlovu, now living in exile, explains how he was hounded out of the national army and ended up as a “dissident”.
He said he operated in Tsholotsho, but was arrested and spent 15 years in jail after he was arrested in Botswana.

Misheck Velaphi, an administrator of the Zipra-owned Nitram Farm, said the alleged arms caches were used as an excuse to deploy the North Korean-trained 5th Brigade by former president Robert Mugabe.

He said both Mugabe and President Emmerson Mnangagwa, who was State Security minister at the time, knew the arms belonged to the ANC’s military wing Umkhonto weSizwe.

Velaphi was arrested with Dabengwa and late Zipra commander Lookout Masuku in connection with the arms.

He was the only one who was convicted and sentenced to three years for possession of arms of war.

Velaphi claims Mnangagwa and Mugabe were used by apartheid South Africa to weaken the ANC, which operated side by side with Zapu.

He claimed that there were mass graves in Bulawayo’s Luveve area of ex-Zipra combatants that were killed when the clashes began at Entumbane.

Prior to the launch, Ndebele claimed that he had been harassed by the police who demanded that he must first be cleared by the Censorship Board.

He received support from the National Peace and Reconciliation Commission (NPRC).

Mnangagwa last week said he would accept any recommendations by the NPRC on how to deal with the Gukurahundi issue after he was asked whether he would apologise by CNN.

One Response to Gukurahundi film opens can of worms

  1. John September 30, 2018 at 6:33 am #

    You cannot have any investigation without allowing all to participate.

    How can survivors have all the information………very stupid
    South Africa were involved.

    It was organosed by Ted Sutton Price of Phycological warfare in Pretoria

    They did get clearance from MI6 in SA prior to it occurring due to the cold war and Mugabe supporting Russia.
    At independence all those employed to sabotage the war veterans were transferred to the SA payroll and Sutton – Price was employed in Pretoria.
    I cant understand why fools keep covering up for the real organisers who probably wander around in Matabeleland with survivors buying them drinks.

    I know the names but those wanting to make it political take charge and are not interested in fact, and try and make local politicians take the blame and the media who has always covered up the real culprits continues to do so to sell newspapers, it is sick.

    I was a key state witness in a court case which was downgraded from terrorism to foreign currency to fraud in our court by corruption and the prosecutor got a cushy job in cape town

AMH logo

© 2021 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.

DMMA logo

123