in the groove:with Fred Zindi
When an individual is left without anything in particular to do, they get bored. Boredom is a universal experience and it is “the root of all evil”. The chronically bored are at higher risk of drug addiction, alcoholism, violence and compulsive gambling.
However, it is important to see boredom as a “call to action”. It can provide an opportunity for thought and reflection. It is for this reason that I have compiled the questions below as a brain-teaser to challenge the entire family during this lockdown period with the hope that it will keep you sane and away from boredom. Anyone who gets above 80% (out of the 100 questions below) correctly, should consider himself/herself a guru on issues to do with music. The answers are found elsewhere in this newspaper, but don’t look for them before completion. This should take you two hours of lockdown time.
1.Thomas Mapfumo (pictured right) is a Zimbabwean musician living in which state in the United States of America?
2. What is the first name of the director of Zimbabwe College of Music?
3. What is the first name of the director of Music Crossroads in Zimbabwe?
4. Andy Brown was once married to a famous mbira player known as?
5. Oliver Mtukudzi’s daughter, who is also a singer, is called?
6. With which musician would you associate the 1986 Graceland album?
7. Beatlemania became a concept after the success of a song titled Please Please Me from a 1960s band known as?
8. Which Swedish band made an international hit with the song Knowing Me, Knowing You?
9.Who is Selmor Mtukudzi married to?
10.What is the stage name of Tariro Chaniwa-Ruzvidzo?
11. What is the name of the white artiste who made a hit with Gypsy Girl in Zimbabwe?
12. What is Winky D’s real name?
13. Which artiste who wedded at Rufaro Stadium and fronted the Green Arrows Band in the 1970s?
14. Which Zimbabwean helped Bob Marley to write the song Zimbabwe?
15. Which Zimbabwean artiste is often referred to as “Mukanya”?
16. What is the name of Zimbabwe’s popular singer who is also Andy Brown’s daughter?
17. Who fronted the Bhundu Boys at the peak of their success?
18. Which famous South African musician died on January 23, 2018?
19. What is the name of the Zimbabwean artiste whose biggest hit was Shaina?
20. Who is the author of the book Music Rocking Zimbabwe?
21. Which famous Zimbabwean musician died on January 23, 2019?
22. What is the stage name of Jamaican reggae singer Winston Rodney?
23. Which late South African singer had the hits Pata Pata and The Click Song?
24. What is Jah Prayzah’s real name?
25. Who is the author of the book Poor and Famous?
26. Who composed the tune Skokiaan?
27. What type of musical instrument is the nyunga nyunga?
28. What is the stage name of Jamaican reggae singer James Chambers?
29. Who is Winky D’s manager?
30. What is the name of the band which had a hit with Hotel California?
31. Which Zimbabwean band tried to change their name to “Follow the Crocodile” during their tour of England?
32. Which mbira player recorded the song Ndinewe on her first album?
33. Name the Zimbabwean council responsible for clearing international artistes coming to perform in Zimbabwe.
34. Who was Oliver Mtukudzi’s white manager in the 1990s?
35. Papa’s Got A Brand New Bag was a big hit for which black American singer?
36. What is the first name of Oliver Mtukudzi’s last wife?
37. Which Zimbabwean artiste sang the song True Love and made a hit with the band Ilanga?
38. Which American singer, born on April 2, 1938, gave us the songs Let’s Get It On and Sexual Healing?
39. Which mbira player was born in Olympia, Washington, and later came to Zimbabwe where she recorded Ancient Voices?
40. Which late Zimbabwean artiste became famous after churning out hits such as Venenzia and Chitekete?
41. The sound quality which enables the ear to distinguish between instruments is known as?
42. Who is Jah Prayzah’s manager?
43. Who composed the song Grazing In The Grass which sold over 4 million copies worldwide?
44. When two or more musical notes are sounded simultaneously together, this process is known as?
45. What music genre is produced by Chillspot Records?
46. What is Stephen Kudzanai Mamhere’s stage name?
47. What is Soul Jah Love’s real name?
48. What was the stage name of John Nyamukokoko?
49. Who penned the song Hapana Asina Wake?
50. Which artiste was born in Leighton, Alabama, in 1941 and came up with a haunting ballad titled When A Man Loves A Woman?
51. Two founding members of Transit Crew band had similar first names. What is this name?
52. Who sang the song Nesango?
53. Who was Whitney Houston married to?
54. Who is Beyonce’s husband?
55. Which African group made a hit with Woyaya in the 1960s?
56.What is the name of the Britain-based reggae band which consisted of Angus Gaye, Brinsley Forde and Tony Gad Robinson?
57.Who sang the song Anodyiwa Haataure Manyepo?
58.Which Jamaican artiste sang the song Night Nurse?
59. What is the stage name of a Bulawayo-based musician also known as Majahawodwa Ndlovu?
60.What stage name is Robert Allen Zimmerman associated with?
61.What is the first name of Simon Chimbetu’s late brother and musical partner?
62.What is the stage name of Neville O’Reiley Livingstone?
63.Which controversial Zimdancehall artiste came up with the song Ndini Uya Uya?
64.Give the name of the Jamaica artiste who was superbly supported by the Wailers Band and I-Threes.
65.Which Zimbabwean gospel artiste has a son who is into Zimdancehall?
66. Name the singer who left the Commodores Band to become a successful solo artiste.
67. Name one popular gospel singer who is also married to a gospel singer.
68. Name the four members of the band that released the album Abbey Road in the 1960s.
69. Who is the Zimbabwean female singer who opened for Michael Jackson at London’s Wembley Arena in 1992?
70. Which Zimdancehall artiste owns a house in Aspindale Park, Harare?
71. Name the late Simon Chimbetu’s son who is also a popular singer.
72.Name the artiste (now late) who fronted a band called Champagne at the age of 12.
73.Which Zimdancehall artiste made a hit with the song Kanjiva?
74.Who sang with Maungwe Brothers and had the hit Mugove which propelled him to national stardom?
75.What is the surname of Diana who sang Why Do Fools Fall In Love in 1981?
76.Which artiste is associated with the names “King of Sungura“ and “Borrowdale Dance” or “Baba Shero”?
77.Which was Bob Marley’s Britain-based favourite group who came from Birmingham?
78. Musician Agabbu is the son of which famous Afro-jazz singer?
79.Who sang Chisikana Changu Zimbabwe?
80.Tawanda, Abbie, Kelly, Collin and Philip are members of which famous Zimbabwean group?
81. Brenda Fassie, Yvonne Chaka Chaka and Soul Brothers are musicians from which country?
82. What was the name of the group formed in Mutare in the 1980s whose members were Peter Mparutsa, Tendai Mparutsa, Jerry Mparutsa, Lawrence Mparutsa and Fortune Mparutsa?
83. Who was the controversial member of the original Wailers who sang alongside Bob Marley and Bunny Wailer?
84. Who is the lead singer in the Third Generation Band?
85. Which artiste, whose song, Character, was nominated for the KORA awards in South Africa in 1996?
86. What mixed race reggae group was formed in Birmingham, England, whose name was taken from the British Unemployment Benefit Form?
87. What is the name of a young people’s band, formed in Zimbabwe in 1988 consisting of Noel Zembe, Emmanuel Thomas, Philbert Marova, Jevas Dzotizei, Bob Manwere, Wellington Masvosva and Primrose Sithole?
l Feedback: email@example.com