HomeSportWadi brace saves CAPS Utd blushes

Wadi brace saves CAPS Utd blushes


CAPS United…..(0) 2

Yadah FC………..(2) 2

DEBUTANT Ishmael Wadi scored a second half brace as Harare giants CAPS United overcame a nightmarish first half to come from two goals down and salvage a draw against a plucky Yadah FC in a Chibuku Super Cup Group 1 opener at the National Sports Stadium yesterday.

Winger Prosper Kafelapanjila fired Yadah FC into the lead after just 17 minutes when he volleyed his effort past CAPS goalkeeper Tonderai Mateyaunga from a dipping cross from the right after being left unmarked on the far post.

While the CAPS United defenders were caught napping after leaving Kafelapanjila unmarked inside the box, Mateyaunga could have done better after being beaten on his near post.

The Walter Magaya-owned side doubled their lead just before halftime from a close-range effort from Tino Mutyembizi who had been also left unmarked inside the box by a seemingly jittery CAPS defence.

Yadah were full value for their two-goal lead as they looked lively at the start with the attacking trio of Kafelapanjila, Sadiki and Fortune Bhinzi always looking threatening in attack.

CAPS United suffered a blow early on when right-back Valentine Musarurwa came off worse from a collision with Yadah goalkeeper Panashe Nyabunga in the early stages of the match before being replaced by Tafadzwa Jaravani.

His absence would go on to be felt throughout the first half as CAPS United’s right flank looked vulnerable whenever Yadah went forward while both their goals came from that side.

Earlier CAPS United were unlucky not to have scored first with Tatenda Tumba wasting a good opportunity from inside the box while Blessing Sarupinda missed the target completely with a low shot from the right.

Makepekepe, who looked vulnerable in midfield with the experienced pair of Ronald Chitiyo and Richard Hachiro failing to stamp their authority in the match, were made to rue the opportunities when Yadah went ahead.

After going behind, CAPS United’s best chance fell to Wadi, who close-range shot on the half turn  came off the left post  while a long-range strike by Hachiro was tipped over the bar by the Yadah keeper.

After a dismal first half, CAPS came from the break a rejuvenated side with Wadi halving their deficit almost immediately through a fine header from a cross by Pheneas Bhamusi.

The former Harare City forward could have equalised soon after, but chose to shoot at goal from an acute angle instead of crossing for his teammates who were left unmarked on the far post.

He, however, made amends on 67 minutes when he latched onto a long ball inside the Yadah box and rounded the goalkeeper before tapping the ball into an empty net.

Suddenly CAPS United were back in the game, but in the end they were unable to create enough chances to get the win as Yadah fought for a deserved point.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading