Sungura war: Master vs student

Are those promoting Sungura king, Alick Macheso, feeling the heat generated by youngsters following in his footsteps?

Report By Tawanda Marwizi

This was the question left in the minds of many fans after a young sungura artist, Romeo Gasa’s performance was abruptly cut short at the recently-held Unity Gala in Gokwe.

There are allegations that an official in Macheso’s management threw spanners in the works of the young artist just as he got onto the stage to perform.

Gasa only managed to perform one song at the gala, much to the chagrin of the fans that had already started enjoying his presence on stage.

The Sungura Kompressor hitmaker is known to reproduce almost all the guitar antics that have made Macheso the master of the bass guitar, including playing it with the feet and forehead.

Gasa told StandardLife&Style that he was a bitter man after leaving the stage early.

He said he received reports that Macheso’s assistant manager, Jethro Machanja, was behind his premature ejection from the stage.

“I was told that Machanja convinced time keepers to cut short my session, which is really disturbing,” said Gasa.

He said on several occasions, the Macheso camp had called him a copycat.

“Recently, his chanter, Jonas Kasamba told one newspaper that I am a copycat which I do not understand,” he said.

A source close to the events said Macheso’s management requested to perform early, saying they wanted to rush elsewhere.

“They told stage managers and time-keepers that they had another event to attend, though they went on to perform straight after Gasa,” said the source.

He added that Machanja only came after Gasa started playing his “talking guitar”.

However, Machanja refuted the claims, saying they arrived at the event later and saw Gasa’s last seconds on stage.

“I arrived late and the only time I spoke to the guys from the information ministry was when I asked them about our slot,” said Machanja.

He said there had been calls from their fans, who were asking them about the matter.

Young artists eager To prove greatness
Gasa and a few other guitarists have been on a mission to prove a point inasfar as playing the bass guitar is concerned.

Macheso is widely regarded as the best sungura bass guitarist around and all the youngsters consider him their yardstick.

Macheso is known to not take lightly artists who seem to copy his music, as evidenced by the song Murondatsimba.

Contacted for comment, Macheso referred all questions to Machanja.

“I was not even there when Gasa performed, so I think the best person to ask is Jethro [Machanja].

Organisers of the gala could not be reached for comment.

7 Responses to Sungura war: Master vs student

1. MONCLER ダウン January 18, 2013 at 11:32 am #

excellent points altogether, you just won a logo new|a new} reader. What might you recommend in regards to your put up that you simply made a few days ago? Any sure?
    MONCLER ダウン

2. best place to get dresses January 29, 2013 at 11:50 am #

Howdy I am so excited I found your weblog, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Askjeeve for something else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say thanks for a remarkable post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read it all at the minute but I have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the superb work.

3. women s casual dresses January 30, 2013 at 9:31 am #

There is noticeably a bundle to comprehend this. I assume you have made distinct good points in characteristics also.

4. La Boss toujours au Top February 1, 2013 at 6:57 am #

Wow!!!! Bana Zimba whats the problem? Ok i will strt with Romeo he is good at his thing and he should not be over dosed by ppl’s comment and forget to do his own stuff , munhu wese anoridza bass jus like soccer ndiani akambonzwa a football player achiti akopwa lol, or a driver achiti why are you driving like me? Lol? These are basics we cant change them , you will remember Ephraim Joe from Sungura boys the guy startd all this kana Macheso anozviziva , John Chibadura everybody know, its like yo first day at school obvious you do what others are doing until you get versed bt what matters is to show kuti you hv your own talent, kana muchida kunonzi kukopa nezita tsvagai anonzi Tendai Chipara or Tendaidotcom ava ndovanonzi Kopibonga chaiyo vakuru vanokopa nezita kwete Gasa, uyu anozongozviiitarawo dzungu rekuzvarwa naro but he is doing his thing thts why we are able to tell kuti uyu ndi Gasa, uyu Spencer uyu Manu uyu Macheso and others, Right ndouya pana Mr Alick Macheso dnt be involvd with these copy issues coz even you copy i am sure tisingade kuitisana nharo Cynthia, kutanga kwayo makangokutanhaura kuna Werrason which underdtndbl hvn kasamba on yo line up, Sungura need legacy dnt kill th talent muchidzinga vana pa stage, koz kutori nevamwe varikuuya vakawanda muchatoita vekurasa kunge Shrek lol, Abt stage usually its managemnt ino plota bt sinc iri yako saka ndiwe , iye Zhakata wacho anotombodzingawo vamwe, then to everybody have time to listen to other countries beats you will take a chill pill coz thts th name of the game , banking is banking, kuwacha kuwacha, kubika kubika , kuridza kuridza, inga Bolt akaita number 1 asi hapana akamboti ndakopwa , the truth is if sm1 aims to be at yo level tht means you can do better , ko Chiyangwa ozoti munhu wese zvaari kungozama kupfuma, lets back our Zimbeat imboridzwawo kuma Grammy uko nhai.

• Hermas February 1, 2013 at 7:39 am #

Vanhu vanotaura kwavasina kuswera nxa. Thrz a lot hapening behind the scene bt hamuzvizive tibvunzei isu, munhu jus follow artist wako simple kwete kungo wawta vakangofanana ava vese vanotsikiria vanhu. And music hapana muridzi musambo wakagara uripo

5. audacious February 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm #

dont just quarel musingazive,tsvakai knowledge then u talk after.macheso is known as the king of sungura all africa not only in zim.u knw nothing if u compare him wt such pple lyk romeo,suluman,zhakata and others. They had neves got that title ‘king of sungura all africa’its great if u gate baba sharo hauzivi kunakirwa u will die not knowing music.kutaura kwemunhu kwakasiyana nekwamwari

6. dugaduga February 25, 2013 at 4:53 pm #

who is who, who has done new things, for all is old to be new. all are copycats but out of those ones some are more fancied. just know that there is nothing new under the sun otherwise uchadya sadza nemakumbo uchiti i dont want to copy hand users.
    macheso ngaakure , he is also a copy cat bigtime.