Politicians hide behind empowerment to decimate industry

Has there ever been an economic tragedy simultaneously so profound and so disregarded as Zimbabwe?

Sunday View

The situation is so much more tragic because it has raised so little attention in the capitals of the world.

Zimbabwe’s financial collapse resulted in an inflation rate so extreme it was treated more with wry amusement around the world than with the concern rightfully due to its citizens.

How many countries in the world have gone so far backwards so fast? The Zimbabwean middle class has long deserted the country, its most promising citizens have left, its hospitals have few medicines, and a once glorious education system lies in ruins.

A promising country with an industrial base once second only to SA in southern Africa staggers on, with its citizenry at the mercy of its greedy, self-righteous and conniving political class. The deeper it sinks, the more conniving and the more toxic that political class becomes.

The era of hyperinflation is now over—thanks to what Zimbabwean politicians laughingly call their “decision” to abandon the Zimbabwean dollar. There was never really a decision; the currency had ceased to function.

Now Zimbabwe is technically growing again, but everybody knows it is growing from minuscule to slightly larger than minuscule, and that is not much of an achievement.

Having gone through what the country has gone through, you might think the consequences of economic catastrophe would have chastened the political class, and made it more cautious about embarking, yet again, on any dubious economic adventures. Yet, seemingly undeterred, the government has now embarked on a process of “indigenisation” — a polite word for an asset grab by the elite.

Under the cloak of localising ownership, Zimbabwe is picking off what remains of the carcass of business entities, forcing them to sell half of their equity to politically—connected locals. That includes a shady fund managed by military figures.

This process is akin to SA’s process of black economic empowerment (BEE). Yet, for all its flaws, the foundation on which BEE is premised is an earnest attempt to rectify inequality caused by apartheid. Indigenisation, on the other hand, has no such grand moral aims. It is simply an act of national economic chauvinism.

That may play popularly among the political class; indeed, that is its intention. But the economic consequences are horrendous. Essentially, it means that to invest in Zimbabwe, the return on capital has to be double that achieved elsewhere, as the equity is halved.

That may be possible in tiny, marginal areas of the economy, but generally it is an obvious mistake.

The indigenisation programme places existing investors in Zimbabwe in a tight spot. There is little international companies can do except try to explain the basic economic rules to Zimbabwe’s political elite. But, as they are not listening, the choices are stark.

Last week, Impala Platinum struck the deal necessary to abide by the legislation, as its only choice is to comply or withdraw. As the ore is available in minable quantities only in Zimbabwe and SA, its hand is forced.

In fact, as the company is one of the few large-scale employers left in Zimbabwe, its bargaining position with labour is close to despotic. So what it loses in the equity grab by the politicians it can counterbalance in lower production costs — one of the unpleasant ironies of this situation.

Now Empowerment minister Saviour Kasukuwere says his next target is the banking sector.

No doubt the banks will comply. Yet the fact remains that, Zimbabwe has taken another step towards economic perdition. It does so with the world, not to mention its southern neighbour, determinedly looking the other way. Ultimately, that is the real tragedy.

11 Responses to Politicians hide behind empowerment to decimate industry

1. ken January 20, 2013 at 7:55 pm #

I live in UK. If I am depressed I look at Zimbabwe, I always get a laugh. I used to think that only
    N korea was the worst, now I am not sure. I do feel sorry for most of the people but the answer is in their hands. I cannot understand the blind following of political dogma: the other day a woman stripped before American official because, somehow, sanctions against some 200 corrupt officials, causes mass unemployment, starvation and yes slavery by the west. You deserve what you have!

2. video magnifier January 20, 2013 at 8:06 pm #

Where to buy The Looky 3.5 Inch Color Hand Held Video Magnifier 2 Hrs. of Battery Use! On Sale Reviews?Feel completely happy to provide you with the good Reviews The Looky 3.5 Inch Color Hand Held Video Magnifier 2 Hrs. of Battery Use! Whole Sale Coupons. With so many currently available, it is good to have a “Cheap The Looky 3.5 Inch Color Hand Held Video Magnifier 2 Hrs. of Battery Use! Deals Prices” you can confidence. Best Buy The Looky 3.5 Inch Color Hand Held Video Magnifier 2 Hrs. of Battery Use! Sales Online is clearly that you will be a good order.

3. louis vuitton belts January 21, 2013 at 7:00 am #

Some truly nice and useful information on this internet site, also I think the pattern holds good features.
    louis vuitton belts

4. cheap louis vuitton belt January 21, 2013 at 7:00 am #

Thanks for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do some research on this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such excellent info being shared freely out there.
    cheap louis vuitton belt

5. How to make private server aion January 21, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community. Your site offered us with helpful info to paintings on. You’ve performed an impressive activity and our whole neighborhood might be thankful to you.

6. Bazar Gorj Free Directory Listing January 27, 2013 at 3:04 am #

You really make it appear really easy together with your presentation however I to find this topic to be really one thing that I feel I would never understand. It sort of feels too complex and very broad for me. I’m taking a look ahead for your subsequent submit, I will try to get the grasp of it!

7. downjacketsonlineshop January 27, 2013 at 4:17 pm #

Thanks for the great Post very COOL!!!

8. best place to buy dresses January 30, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Hi there! Quick question that’s totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My site looks weird when browsing from my iphone4. I’m trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to correct this issue. If you have any recommendations, please share. Appreciate it!

9. women s casual dresses January 30, 2013 at 9:28 am #

Hi, Neat post. There is an issue with your website in web explorer, would check this… IE still is the market chief and a large component of folks will leave out your great writing due to this problem.

10. cabal online hack February 7, 2013 at 8:49 pm #

It’s the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this post and if I may just I wish to suggest you some attention-grabbing issues or advice. Maybe you can write subsequent articles regarding this article. I wish to read even more issues approximately it!

11. bruno February 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm #

Hi, i have reading out and i will definitely bookmarrk your site, just wanted to say i liked this article.