Uganda challenger Besigye claims poll fraud over Museveni win

The main opposition leader in Uganda, Kizza Besigye, has rejected the result of Thursday’s elections, in which President Yoweri Museveni won a fifth term of office.

BBC News

Mr Besigye, under house arrest since Friday, said Ugandans had seen “the most fraudulent electoral process”.

Kizza Besigye

Kizza Besigye

He described the poll as a sham and a creeping military coup.

President Museveni, in power for 30 years, received nearly 61% of the votes, with Mr Besigye taking 35%.

Foreign observers say the poll was conducted in an atmosphere of fear and intimidation.

While praising the “remarkable determination” of Ugandans to vote, EU chief observer Eduard Kukan said the governing National Resistance Movement’s “domination of the political landscape distorted the fairness of the campaign”.

The election has been marred by sporadic violence and opposition allegations of electoral fraud, with social media sites and messaging apps blocked.

‘Military coup’
“Today I am under house arrest,” Mr Besigye said in a statement.

“My home is sealed off and I am not allowed to leave. Nobody is allowed to access my home. I am also under some kind of electronic blockade. I am unable to access any form of internet service in my house.

“Generally, the regime is baring its bloodied fangs and claws for all to see. This has not been an electoral process. This is a creeping military coup.”

It was the fourth time Mr Besigye, candidate for the opposition Forum for Democratic Change, had taken on President Museveni.

The two men were once allies, with Mr Besigye serving as Mr Museveni’s personal doctor when they were guerrilla fighters.

He was placed under house arrest ostensibly to stop him announcing his vote score unilaterally.

Mr Museveni seized power in 1986 and is credited with restoring stability to Uganda. However, critics say he has become increasingly authoritarian.

The next closest challenger to Mr Museveni, former Prime Minister Amama Mbabazi, is also reportedly under house arrest.

The National Resistance Movement put out a statement celebrating the win, saying Mr Museveni’s opponents had “failed to offer any alternative”.

6 Responses to Uganda challenger Besigye claims poll fraud over Museveni win

1. temerai February 21, 2016 at 6:30 pm #

why is it with us africans?i was saddened by a picture of an Ugandan soldier escaping with a balot box.may the god’s wrath persue this evil museveni

• Shame on the Continent February 22, 2016 at 5:20 pm #

We africans are being let down by our leaders and those organisations that are supposed to be there for us like African Union, SADC Civil society and Human rights Organisations who are not speaking out when things like this happen

2. Hudson February 21, 2016 at 7:51 pm #

Museveni and his Corhort Mugabe are aeging buffoons who have manipulated and disorganized thier respective countries. High level corruption, greed and thuggery have characterized both men. It’s a pity that these two worthless clowns continue to wield power albeit illegally. But this is Africa, we can only hope for thier expeditious demise, God willing!

3. profahsaf March 1, 2016 at 7:58 am #

Call MAMA on +27735333936 or email her all your problems at healingsonly@gmail.com Thank you for making my wish come true MAMA I was totally devastated when Allison left me. It was like all my world vanishing into sorrow and pain. But your kind words when I first emailed you gave me hope even when i was very far from you. I felt how sincere, honest and authentic you were from your first email. I know it sounds weird but out of all the casters I contacted, you were the only one to give me that impression of being so true and caring. More than your words, it’s the fantastic work you accomplished for me that I will keep in mind when i was a thousand miles away from u. You brought my lover back and you made all my wishes come true. He’s now loyal, pays attention to me, he offers me flowers every Sunday, and we often go out at the cinema or at the restaurant.The holy oil u gave us for the financial blessings has also boosted our family business and my husband last week was promoted at his place of work. I will be forever thankful for turning my life from hell to heaven!”Those reading this testimony and have the same problem its just a call a way no matter where you are your problems will be solved over the phone or email as long as you have faith. Patricia LONDON

4. asad March 5, 2016 at 4:29 pm #

5. asad March 5, 2016 at 4:30 pm #

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

ᴍʏ Fʀɪᴇɴᴅ’s ᴍᴏᴍ ᴍᴀᴋᴇs $73 ʜᴏᴜʀʟʏ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴜᴛᴇʀ . Sʜᴇ ʜᴀs ʙᴇᴇɴ ᴏᴜᴛ ᴏғ ᴀ ᴊᴏʙ ғᴏʀ 7 ᴍᴏɴᴛʜs ʙᴜᴛ ʟᴀsᴛ ᴍᴏɴᴛʜ ʜᴇʀ ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ᴡᴀs $20864 ᴊᴜsᴛ ᴡᴏʀᴋɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴘᴜᴛᴇʀ ғᴏʀ ᴀ ғᴇᴡ ʜᴏᴜʀs.

click this link