HomeSportBorder Strikers relegated

Border Strikers relegated

Mutare City Rovers . . . . (2)3
Border Rtrikers . . . . . . . 0

BORDER Strikers were relegated from the top-flight league action after succumbing to a 3-0 defeat against Mutare City Rovers in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match at Sakubva Stadium yesterday.


The struggling Beitbridge-based team has 14 points, 11 behind Mutare City Rovers who occupy 14th place on the log with three rounds of action left.

Mutare City Rovers got their goals through Steven Sibanda, who opened the scoring after just 50 seconds into the match before Chastern Ndongonda increased the lead. Kudakwashe Gurure put the icing on the cake from the penalty spot.

Rovers head coach Taku Shariwa was ecstatic after the win before declaring that his charges would keep fighting to keep afloat in the top-flight league

“’This was an important win for us; we need to remain in the top-flight league at all costs, the fight is still on. Tsholotsho won today, so we need to keep fighting”’ he said.

His counterpart Luke Masomere said his side deserved to be relegated from Premiership football.

“I personally think that this team does not deserve to play in the Premier League. We have been officially relegated from the Premier League today [yesterday] and l can’t say Rovers dominated the play, it was just a see-saw but we missed a lot of chances and a penalty,” he said.

The home side started the match on a high note and they were duly rewarded 50 seconds into the match with a fine goal from Sibanda, who completed an impressive return into the starting lineup.

The home side continued with their dominance and in the 20th minute Livingstone Ganti cleared Kudakwashe Gurure’s shot off the line.

A minute later former veteran Triangle skipper Ndongonda extended the hosts’ lead with a thumping header.

Impressive Rovers shot-stopper Victor Twaliki was alert on the 32th minute after punching back into play a fine curled shot by Vimbai Madamombe from the corner-kick.

The visitors made a surprise substitution on the 41th minute after bringing on goalkeeper Gilbert Chigwandaza for Talent Sande.

In the second half Rovers had a real chance in the 65th minute, but Ndongonda headed wide a Russel Madamombe cross with Sande a beaten man.

Strikers were awarded a penalty 13 minutes before the final whistle after Twaliki fouled Kudzanayi Kwashi inside the box, but the visiting side’s skipper Tinashe Mudzaweta missed the target from the resultant spot kick.

Epraim Mwinga handled a Wonder Sithole shot on the 87th minute inside the box and Gurure made no mistake beating Sande.

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading