Mukanya heads to Zim

Chimurenga music legend Thomas Mapfumo’s company Chimurenga Music Company has confirmed that the musician, popularly known as Mukanya, was heading to Zimbabwe in April.

By Moses Mugugunyeki and Kennedy Nyavaya

Mapfumo has been holed in Oregon in the United States since 2004, alleging intimidation and persecution by the Robert Mugabe regime. If he makes the trip, he joins scores of Zimbabweans in the Diaspora who are returning home from the Diaspora. The new government of Zimbabwe is calling on citizens in foreign lands to come back home and exploit opportunities presented by the new dispensation.

The musician’s spokesperson Blessing Vava, who also doubles as Chimurenga Music Company spokesperson, yesterday confirmed to The Standard Style that the 72-year-old crooner was coming back to Zimbabwe.

“It’s confirmed. End of April, Mudhara [Mapfumo] will perform in Harare. The contract has been signed and all the parties have agreed,” said Vava.

“Mudhara and the rest of the band [The Blacks Unlimited] will be touching Zimbabwe in April, just a few days before the bira. It’s now a reality that Mukanya will be reconnecting with his fans after more than a decade away.”

Vava said Mukanya was excited about this historic return and promised a memorable show.

Meanwhile, government has given a thumbs up to Mapfumo’s welcome gig and assured him of a safe return.

Responding to a question posed by The Standard Style on the sidelines of an arts stakeholders’ engagement forum on Wednesday, Minister of Sport, Arts and Recreation Kazembe Kazembe said Mapfumo was free to come back into the country to help rebuild it.

“This is a new dispensation and if you listen to the words of the president, he said Zimbabwe belongs to every citizen of the country and this new era has opened the doors for everyone to come and develop the country,” said Kazembe.

10 Responses to Mukanya heads to Zim

1. Andrew Takaedza January 21, 2018 at 2:34 pm #

Which fans? Most of mukwanyas fans are old people, more in his age bracket, does he think they still have the energy and interest to go for gigs and late night shows? Some of them are now late. Kwasara vafanha vega vega vanotoda zim Dancehall pane chimurenga chake icho.

• Washie Simango January 21, 2018 at 7:58 pm #

Hauziwe zvauri kutaura iwe muzaya Andrew Takaedza.

• tkays January 22, 2018 at 12:58 am #

you are out of touch with reality Andrew. I am not an old man. I am Mukanya’s fan. I think you are smoking something like Soul Jah Love.

2. Tasiyana January 21, 2018 at 5:28 pm #

This is a welcome move from our legendary music icon, Mukanya. We were missing his live shows here in Harare.

3. Gwindingwi Rine Shumba Inoruma January 22, 2018 at 3:41 am #

I Am 37,nt Old Zvirikufungidzirwa Na Andrew Bt Mukanya Is My Best Kusvika Nhasi Saka Don’t Put Vanhu In Categories Without Research Ana Henduru

4. papasharon January 23, 2018 at 7:36 am #

Thank you papasharon for the wonders your MAGIC oll has done for me and family,a while ago i was depressed and stuck on what to do,all the money i made was going through my hands, constant fights with my wife,worked but no promotion and barely any salary increment,but today i testify that the magic ring that cost me only.. has changed everything;i was promoted at work;salary was increased;my wife loves me more than ever before and my luck has changed,everything i do now is appreciated and successful. papasharon number is +27630922041 if you also need help,,

5. Cde Mzvinavhu(Prof) January 23, 2018 at 11:08 am #

The real test of Mukanya`s support will be on the ground when he arrives and starts performing in the country. Those who major in political music will always find that their music survives or dies depending on how the politics evolve. We can compare Mukanya and Tuku.

6. Denford January 24, 2018 at 5:32 pm #

Andrew is out of touch with reality, we are not that old, am in my 40s

7. Cde Mzansi January 27, 2018 at 12:19 pm #

Andrew Takaedza hauna zvaunoziwa. I am 31yrs old. Mukanya is a legend.his music will not fade.his old lyrics will always taste good.Pliz Andrew asbvotomokeba.

8. svova February 2, 2018 at 1:28 pm #

andrew ka .am 49yrs and cant wait for gandanga.kana akati 50us ndoenda.chimurenga ndokuti music kwete wana popopopopo wenyu awo mukoma andrew …itai mushe wakuru.kkkkkk

© 2018 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.