Ngezi back to winning ways, Sheasham pluck Gamecocks feathers


NGEZI PLATINUM . . . . . . (0) 1

BULAWAYO CHIEFS . . . . (0) 0

NGEZI Platinum Stars ended a run of two consecutive losses at home after a Tinotenda Murasiranwa (pictured) second half strike against Bulawayo Chiefs ensured a winning start to the second half of the season at Baobab yesterday.

The Mhondoro-Ngezi side lost to Simba Bhora and Highlanders in their last home matches as they fell seven points behind log leaders Highlanders at the half stage of the season.

The win sees second-placed Ngezi Platinum Stars reduce Bosso's lead to five points with 33 points from 18 games.

Coach Takesure Chiragwi was a relieved man after the win.

"We are happy because we really wanted this win after that defeat against Highlanders. I knew coming into this game that with the performance from the Highlanders game we were going to win. And now coming into the second half of the season we really need to take the chances that come our way so we need to work on our finishing," he said.

Ngezi Platinum were quick off the blocks and were denied by the crossbar after captain Qadr Amini failed to find the target from the six yard box barely six minutes into the match.

Moments later the visitors' goalkeeper  Issah Ali produced a brilliant  save to tip over a Malon Mushonga goal-bound shot from range.

Bulawayo Chiefs had chances as the match progressed but failed to beat Nelson Chadya as the teams went into half time deadlocked.

The hosts had the first big chance early in the second half, but Simbarashe Chimanikire's lastditch tackle denied Amini after he was fed by Murasiranwa.

However , the hosts scored from the resultant corner kick. Murasiranwa controlling the ball before turning and rifling the ball into the roof of the net seven minutes after the break.

Madlenkosi Gasela wasted a free kick opportunity from the edge of the box before the hour mark.

Mandinyenya missed a glorious opportunity to double the score in the 72nd minute, latching onto a rebound in the box but his casual approach allowed Chiefs to clear the ball off the line.

Ngezi Platinum managed to hold on for a winning start to the second half of the season.

"It was a good game. We tried our best, Ngezi applied themselves very well; they got that chance and scored. That was the difference," Chief coach Joseph Sibindi said after the match.

Meanwhile, a brilliant strike by Liberty Masveure was all Sheasham needed to dismiss a lethargic Chicken Inn at Luveve Stadium on Saturday afternoon in a Castle Lager Premier Soccer League match.

Masveure received a pass from Nigel Mpinduki in the 31st minute, turned Mpumelelo Bhebhe and came face to face with goalkeeper Pride Zendera. The in form striker released a stinger which was too hot to handle for the diving Zendera.

Missing the services of Brian Muza and Tafadzwa Kutinyu, the Gamecocks put up a mediocre performance in a chilly afternoon and they failed to replicate the performance they displayed against Hwange last week.

Lizwe Sweswe was on cloud nine.

 "Well-done to the team, the players, team Sheasham technical department and everyone for the hard work. I think the guys are working very hard and now they can see the results," said Sweswe.

Matore appeared dejected at the post match presser and was unhappy about the team's performance.

 "It's disappointing, we thought we were going to win this match and collect the maximum points, but we lost it, " he said.

Related Topics