Zim must prioritise junior football

“I have never understood these Zimbabweans. When did they cease to be our bitter rivals? They should know that Zambia is representing Zambia, not southern Africa. Every team got its chance in Afcon [African Cup of Nations] and Zimbabwe was busy fixing matches…This cup is for Zambians alone.

Column by Michael Madyira

They should build their team, the Warriors or Dreaming team, whatever they call it. I was surprised to see Zimbabweans who for long have ridiculed our dear Chipolopolo post such statements as we’ve done it! Whaaaaaat?! Organise your team. My statement is simple: ….don’t bother stealing our glory. Hala Zambiaa hala,” fumed Zambian national Collins Kasanda last year in a post that went viral on social media soon after Zambia had bagged the Africa Cup of Nations trophy.

Kasanda was questioning why Zimbabweans were vociferously and passionately celebrating Zambia’s Afcon victory more than the Zambians themselves.

Many Zimbabweans would be quick to dismiss Kasanda as an overzealous fan.

It is easy to immediately tell Kasanda that he should go to a place where the sun does not shine because of his ridicule to our football.

But in some way, Kasanda was right.

He had every right to stand on top of a mountain, beat himself on the chest and brag about his country’s Nations Cup feat.
Those were just his honest views and he was not the cause of our football woes after all.

We are the architects of our football misery. We are our own enemies.

A look at Zambia’s triumph in Equatorial Guinea and Gabon last year would clearly tell one that they are organised.

One would wonder how the then unheralded players like Stopilla Sunzu and Emmanuel Mayuka managed to hold their nerves against the mighty Ivory Coast in that final match last year.

Sunzu, Mayuka and William Njobvu were part of those boys who took part in the Fifa World Youth Championships in Canada in 2007.

During that time Mayuka was still a schoolboy and that was when he started gathering international football experience.

But unfortunately, we have been arrogant towards our own young boys and too blind to see the significance of continental junior tournaments.

Last year we failed to send the national Under-17s and 20s for their respective continental away assignments.

The same week that our Under-17s were supposed to travel to Congo Brazzaville was when the Warriors were being treated to five star luncheons and dinners before travelling for that doomed Angola mission.

Sadly, during that same week the juniors were moving around in a battered Mazda Swaraj minibus and kitted in worn-out uniforms that have been used by many generations of Young Warriors.

While money was being sourced for the senior team, the same concerted drive was never afforded junior national teams.

The phrase “junior football development” has become a hymn at Zifa but non-existent in practice and implementation.

• For comments and feedback email mmadyira@standard.co.zw or sms 0772773496

9 Responses to Zim must prioritise junior football

1. places to buy dresses January 28, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Hey, you used to write wonderful, but the last few posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous writings. Past few posts are just a bit out of track! come on!

2. places to buy dresses January 28, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

I keep listening to the newscast lecture about receiving boundless online grant applications so I have been looking around for the best site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i acquire some?

3. places to buy dresses January 28, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Heya i’m for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something again and aid others such as you helped me.

4. places to buy dresses January 28, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Helpful information. Lucky me I found your site by accident, and I am surprised why this accident didn’t took place in advance! I bookmarked it.

5. women s plus size dresses January 30, 2013 at 9:27 am #

Along with almost everything that appears to be developing within this subject matter, your points of view tend to be somewhat stimulating. However, I beg your pardon, because I do not subscribe to your entire strategy, all be it radical none the less. It appears to us that your opinions are actually not totally validated and in fact you are yourself not really totally confident of the assertion. In any case I did enjoy reading through it.

6. designer dresses January 30, 2013 at 9:27 am #

hey there and thank you in your information – I have definitely picked up anything new from right here. I did alternatively experience some technical points the use of this site, since I experienced to reload the web site many instances previous to I may get it to load properly. I have been considering in case your hosting is OK? No longer that I am complaining, however slow loading instances instances will sometimes impact your placement in google and could injury your high quality ranking if advertising and ***********|advertising|advertising|advertising and *********** with Adwords. Anyway I am adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for a lot more of your respective exciting content. Ensure that you update this again very soon.

7. Welfare January 30, 2013 at 10:23 pm #

All good points need to end Welfare http://www.bulkping.com/rss-feed-generator-creator/feed/c6f5b87b4febb16827b90a6565d9e51b.xml

© 2014 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.