HomeSportFC Platinum maintain unbeaten run

FC Platinum maintain unbeaten run

With the win, the flamboyant Zvishavane-based outfit extended their lead at the summit to 36 points from 17 outings. Tailing them is Motor Action on 31 points from 16 games. The Bulls play Masvingo today.

FC Platinum were on the score board in the 11th minute through a Charles Sibanda tremendous long range shot that gave Kiglon goalkeeper Tsungai Mudzamiri no chance at all.

Mudiwa Mususa equalised for Kiglon in the 38th minute with a cheeky chip in the penalty box.

FC Platinum had referee Lawrence Magada to thank in the dying stages of the match as he awarded a dubious penalty to the Platinum miners claiming that Khumbulani Banda was infringed in the penalty box. Up stepped Menard Mupera to score the winner for FC Platinum, who have maintained their unbeaten run since Rahman Gumbo took over in May.

FC Platinum defender Brighton Dube was unlucky to have his goal disallowed in the 86th minute as he was judged to be on an offside position. Magada awarded FC Platinum a penalty in the 90th minute for an infringement. Kiglon fans were not happy and threatened to beat Madaga who was later escorted out of the stadium by the police.

Shooting Stars are slowly coming out from their slumber after they dispatched Zimbabwe Saints 2-1 at Sakubva yesterday.

Stars were first to get off the blocks in the 11th minute when Chauya Chikwata defender Dumisani Ndlovu handled inside his box.

Referee Robert Mugorosa did not hesitate to point on the spot. George Karimupfumbi took the penalty kick, blasting the ball home past the diving Munyaradzi Diya.

James Chitereke increased his team’s lead after he curled a freekick in the 79th minute, which eluded the Diya.

Zimbabwe Saints refused to throw in the towel and they were rewarded in injury time after they were awarded a penalty for the handling offence. Gift Phiri made no mistake by sending goalie Godfrey Brown the wrong way but it seemed there was no time for a comeback.

Jermain Hangazha reports: Monomotapa beat Chicken Inn at 2-1 at Rufaro yesterday.

Brian Mapfumo had the ball in the net as early as the fifth minute after he fired home a clinical strike that put Monomotapa ahead.

Hurt by this opening, Chicken Inn started mounting pressure on Monomotapa and Danny Phiri notched an   equaliser in the 45th minute.

Chicken Inn had to finish the second half with 10 men after Frank Mvula was shown a red card by referee Norman Matemera for blocking Osborn Mukuradare’s header with his hands in the 16-yard box.

Monomotapa were awarded a penalty which was converted by Makai Kawashu to break the deadlock.

Mukuradare could have scored the third goal for Monomotapa in the 79th minute but had his goal disallowed for offside.

Ranga Dzotizei reports: Gunners twice came from behind to salvage a point against the marauding Blue Ribbon in a four-goal thriller at Lafarge. Tamba Wakaguta scored through Eriah Phiri and Tineyi Chitora while the hosts replied through Moses Demera and a Moses Muchenje conversion.

The match started at a brisk pace with both sides weighing each other, but it was Blue Ribbon who drew first blood on 11 minutes when Daniel Kamunhenga found a lurking Charlton Mashumba, who left one marker for dead before finding Phiri who stabbed home from close range.

Mashumba then side footed wide on 24 minutes from Crispen Dickson’s cross but Gunners came stumbling out of their blocks and duly equalised seven minutes later through Demera. He ended a great move started by young Leonard Fiyado by firing beyond Earnmore Hamandishe’s reach to send the Gunners fans into ecstacy.

Misheck Chidzambwa’s men were not deterred by the leveller and pressed on. On the stroke of half time they  regained control of the game when Chitora profited from some horrendous defending by the Gunners back four to lob the ball past an advancing Prosper Chigumba.

After the breather the menacing Mashumba could have made it three ten minutes after restart after bulldozing past the entire defence but the post denied his cracker with Chigumba well beaten. However it was a patient Chando Kupisa that got it right on 65 minutes.

Demura was hacked down by Dickson in the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot and Demura’s namesake Muchenje made no mistake to beat Hamandishe for the second time to appease the restive Chando Kupisa faithful.

Five minutes from stoppage time the impressive Chitora thought he had won it for Tamba Wakaguta after rattling the nets again but was correctly ruled offside

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading