FORMER World Boxing Organisation (WBO) Africa Welterweight champion Tinei Maridzo has called for a speedy resolution to the naming of the new Zimbabwe Boxing Board of Control to allow boxers to continue with their careers.
Report by Albert Marufu
The previous board led by Richard Hondo that had been in charge since 1980 was dissolved in November last year by the Minister of Education, Sport, Arts and Culture, David Coltart.
However, since then, efforts to come up with a new board have been stalled, thereby affecting boxers’ progression in their careers.
Maridzo, who is now based in South Africa, said the calendar had already started in that country and there was no way promoters could put him in their plans as he was still to be licensed.
“We do not know when the new board will be announced and what set of rules they will bring. We also do not have licences as they have to be issued by the new board,” he said.
“My handlers in South Africa have lined up a fight for me on March 19. The date may seem to be very far away, but in boxing that is not the case. My South African coach has advised me to train in Zimbabwe, but I cannot because there is no one to do sparring with.”
Maridzo, who was stripped off his title after failing to get promoters for his title defence, added that the new board should also look at reducing the 10% levy that was being charged by the previous board as most boxers did not see its use.
Minister Coltart said apologised for the delay in naming the composition of the new board and gave Thursday as the date the announcement would be made.
“I am sorry that boxers are being affected, but was consolidating the list that I got from Sports and Recreation Commission Director General Charles Nhemachena and other interested parties. By Thursday we will have announced the new board,” he said.