SUSPENDED CAPS United coach Taurai Mangwiro might make a quick return to football after the Zimbabwe Football Association (Zifa) indicated that they will deal with his matter and that of others as soon as possible.
BY BRIAN NKIWANE
Mangwiro was handed a 10-year ban by the country’s football governing body for allegedly participating in the Asiagate match-fixing scandal.
Mangwiro is among the seven people who have appealed against life and long-term bans they were handed by Zifa.
Joining him in fighting the Asiagate bans are Shabanie Mine coach Luke Masomere, who also had a good season with asbestos miners Shabanie Mine, and Bidvest Wits defender Thomas Sweswe.
Zifa, together with the Asiagate Appeals Committee, have been under pressure from interested stakeholders to deal with the appeals on their desk last year to allow officials and players to move on with life.
Speaking to Standardsport recently, Zifa chief executive officer Jonathan Mashingaidze said the nation had been patient enough over the finalisation of the matter, hence the need to deal with the appeals before month end.
“We know very well the nation has been patient enough. What has been stopping us from progressing is that some of the appellants have not paid the additional US$300 for their record of proceedings. But I can tell you that three of the seven have already done their payments and they have collected their transcripts so that they can start working on their heads of arguments,” Mashingaidze said.
The three are now expected to work with their legal teams to come up with heads of arguments that will be considered by the Appeals Committee when they look into their cases.
“We are now waiting for them to bring back their heads of arguments so that the committee can set the date, time and venue for their cases to be heard.
“The other four have not yet paid for their transcripts, therefore it becomes difficult to deal with their cases. But I can assure you this case has to brought to finality before month end,” added Mashingaidze.
The seven appealed against their judgments after paying appeals fees of US$6 000 last year. They were further asked to pay US$300 which was said to be for the preparation of their record of proceedings.
The remaining four who have not paid the extra US$300 are a senior Editor with The Herald Robson Sharuko, former Warriors coach Sunday Chidzambwa, Method Mwanjali and Dynamos defender Guthrie Zhokinyi.