HomeSportCAPS United win ZNA Charity Shield

CAPS United win ZNA Charity Shield

HIGHLANDERS . . . . . . . . . . . 0
CAPS UNITED . . . . . . . . . . . 0
(CAPS won 3-2 on a penalty shoot-out)

LEAGUE champions CAPS United continued with their pre-season glory when they wrested the ZNA Charities Shield from Highlanders after a penalty shoot-out victory at Barbourfields Stadium yesterday.


Last week, the Green Machine were in a celebratory mood when they sailed through to the CAF Champions League lucrative group stages after dumping Democratic Republic of Congo giants TP Mazembe out of the competition.

An exciting goalless match in regulation time was marred by a delay in taking the penalties after a dispute on the match ball to be used, with CAPS United assistant coach Fungai “Tostao” Kwashi making it into the field in protest until there was a brief consultation between the match officials and technical staff from either side. As if that was not enough, CAPS United coach Lloyd Chitembwe only agreed to pick up his medal after the intervention of one of Zimbabwe National Army officials after he had a nasty exchange with some Zifa officials over the procedure for the post-match medals and trophy presentation ceremony.

Kabby Kamhapa, Ronald Pfumbidzayi and Justice Jangano converted for CAPS United, with skipper Moses Muchenje hitting the upright and Tafadzwa Rusike watching his spot kick sail over the cross bar.

Midfielder Adrian Silla and Simon Munawa converted for Highlanders, with CAPS United goalkeeper Jorum Muchambo denying Tendai Ngulube and Roderick Mutuma’s penalty kicks, while rightback Bukhosi Ncube also hit the upright post.

Chitembwe was delighted with the win and said they had the edge over Highlanders even in regulation time.

“It was a good game. Both sides expressed themselves well, but I think we were slightly better than them.”

He also explained the delay in taking the penalties: “I went into the pitch to seek clarity on which balls were going to be used for the penalty kicks. Both clubs had to be represented,” Chitembwe said.

Highlanders coach Erol Akbay said he was not disappointed to lose on penalties.

“I can live with losing on penalties. On the issue of the delay, they [CAPS United] wanted to take the penalties with their own balls, but there were match balls and that has to be decided by the referee,” he said.

Both sides had their fair share of opportunities to win the match in regulation time and CAPS United could have killed the game five minutes after the break, but veteran striker Leonard Tsipa had his penalty saved by goalkeeper Prosper Matutu after defender Ncube had brought down Muchenje inside the box.

Matutu denied CAPS United two times in the first half with brilliant saves, shutting out Rusike and Kamhapa in the early stages of the game, while Muchambo also came to CAPS United’s rescue, safely collecting a Mutuma effort from a dead ball situation in the 26th minute.


HIGHLANDERS: P Matutu, B Ncube, H Moyo, T Ndlovu, B Dube, T Ngulube, G Nyoni (N Ndlovu 70′), B Banda (E Mudzingwa 89′), R Mutuma, S Munawa, A Gahadzikwa (A Silla 78′)

CAPS UNITED: J Muchambo, V Musarurwa, R Pfumbidzayi, C Mudzambwa, J Jangano, P Bamusi, C Kamhapa, M Muchenje, L Tsipa (D Chungwa 65′), H Zvirekwi (A Kambanje 67′), T Rusike

Recent Posts

Stories you will enjoy

Recommended reading