Speaking to Standardsport from his base in Mutare, Naaz director of coaching and talent identification Tendai Tagara said the supposedly two-day event which was initially slated for May 25 to 27 has been moved to May 27 and it will now be a one-day event.
“Due to other logistical problems we finally agreed that the event should be held on May 27 at the giant National Sports Stadium from 9am to 3:30pm,” Tagara said.
Tagara added that the association was more than ready to host the juniors’ event as the corporate world and well-wishers had poured in enough money to host the event.
Tagara said nine countries had confirmed their participation at this year’s event with South Africa bringing in the largest contingent of athletes.
“We have received confirmation from nine countries so far. South Africa are bringing the largest contingent of 30 athletes, 10 less than the hosts.
“Botswana and Namibia are bringing the second largest contingent of 24 athletes each while Lesotho is bringing in 12 athletes.” Other countries which are going to grace the event are Seychelles and Angola who are bringing in eight athletes each while Mauritius is bringing in seven athletes.
“Zambia and Swaziland have both confirmed their participation but have not told us anything about their travelling arrangements and the number of athletes that they will be bringing,” concluded Tagara.