There are three weeks left before Zifa board elections are held.
High-sounding manifestos characterise every election season for any office and football is no exception.
BY OUR STAFF
In March 2010, Zimbabwean football ushered Cuthbert Dube as Zifa president after councillors entrusted him to run the ailing game and voted him into office.
A screaming manifesto charmed the electorate and he was handed the mandate to lead Zimbabwean football.
Four years down the line, Dube has completed his term, but is seeking re-election to remain at the helm of Zifa for another four years although he is yet to avail his manifesto for the March 29 plebiscite.
It is not yet clear who is planning to fight Dube for the throne.
Dube, who is fighting to clean his name after his massive
US$230 000 salary was exposed, is on record confirming his intention to retain the Zifa chair. He says he has “unfinished business” and wants “to leave a legacy in Zimbabwean football.”
Efforts to get him to speak again on the Zifa elections last week were fruitless. A man who answered one of his mobile phones said Dube would be available for comment only after the closure of the nomination court on March 14.
Below in italics are excerpts of Dube’s 2010 manifesto and what became of some of the promises.
“My board, through partnerships with corporates and Government, shall ensure that strong national teams are put together through a sound technical system that shall only see the best of Zimbabwe’s players donning national team jerseys.”
However, six coaches — Madinda Ndlovu, Tom Saintfiet, Norman Mapeza, Rahman Gumbo, Klaus Dieter Pagels and incumbent Ian Gorowa — have taken charge of the Warriors since 2010 with the national team failing to qualify for the 2012 and 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.
The Warriors have also recorded one of their worst campaigns in their bid to qualify for this year’s World Cup to be staged in Brazil.
There is however a ray of hope filtering through coach Ian Gorowa’s promising Warriors project.
The national Under-17 and Under-20 teams are in a state of neglect resulting in a CAF ban for failing to fulfill away fixtures.
Just last week, ill-fed Mighty Warriors were living in literal hell at the Zifa Village in a situation interpreted in some quarters as girl child abuse.
Another promise in the manifesto was the hosting of major tournaments.
“Boasting facilities we have, my board shall bid to host CAF and Fifa competitions in our bid to rebrand and profile the Association and Zimbabwe in general.”
Taking away the Cosafa Cup, if Zimbabwe is to throw a bid to host a continental competition today, chances of being handed hosting rights are slim due to shambolic football infrastructure.
Zifa turned 50 last year and celebrations to mark the golden jubilee were mooted but never saw the light of day.
Last year Zifa also promised to bring world giants Real Madrid, Manchester City or Juventus to Zimbabwe to play the Warriors as part of celebrations. Needless to say, nothing of the sort happened.
“Awards for the most illustrious and deserving men and women shall be unveiled with the association putting together a hall of fame where our ‘who is who’ shall be inducted for posterity. Sponsors for the awards are waiting in the wings.”
The Hall of Fame plans suffered stillbirth due to lack of funds, yet the manifesto stated that sponsors for the project were “waiting in the wings”.
“Upon coming into office, my board shall engage our sister football association Safa with a view towards creating opportunities for special placement of our volunteers during the World Cup. A full entertainment package for the fans shall be unveiled affording our fans the opportunity to experience the real 2010 Fifa World Cup away from South Africa. Fan parks shall house such entertainment activities during the World Cup.”
Not even an attempt to fulfill this promise was made. Instead, a different stakeholder took up the idea and set up the parks.