Mudiwa, a preacher who happens to rap

A man with a secret is a man with power.

BY SILENCE CHARUMBIRA

True or false, it does not matter but at least that is the philosophy according to flamboyant gospel rapper Mudiwa Mutandwa.

That is the reason why most of what is said about him off the stage is all speculative and can never be substantiated.

Would you have ever guessed that colourful socialite Mahwindo and musician Mudiwa Hood Mutandwa are siblings?

Mahwindo’s real name is Wanisai Tendai Mutandwa and is the first born in a family of four where Mudiwa is the last born.

The other two siblings are overseas based Shupikai and local businessman Terrance.

Despite leading starkly different lifestyles, Mudiwa says he is not comfortable talking about other people.

“When I talk about other people that surround me, I risk dragging their names in the mud when I make a mistake,” he said.

“I want to talk about God not other people.”

Although he eventually opened up the musician had worn ashield refusing to talk about his lifestyle.

First it was the name Hood which many thought was a nickname.

His great grandfather was white and his surname was Hood.

“The name Mutandwa was adopted by my grandfather from being a nickname after having separated with his wife because of racism,” he said.

In music circles, particularly to urban groovers, Mudiwa is the guy who sings like Stunner while to the Christian folk he is the pompous young man who sings the gospel of prosperity.

Mudiwa says his musical journey started when he was in college.

“I was a fashion addict and my ego was triggered when someone said Major Playerz was better than me. I had sang in the choir and all but that is when I started singing seriously to prove a point and recorded Girl You Got to Know a reply to Tia’s Boy You Got to Know,” said the musician who prefers to be referred to as a preacher who happens to rap.

He went on to release Mudiwa Ndinokuda in 2005 and a 20 track album When I do what I do in 2006 before going back to school at Africa University where he did a double major in Economics and Psychology and finished in 2008.

“I stopped singing and concentrated on school and went to South Africa the same year where I wanted to do my MSE Economics but left because of the xenophobic attacks. I did my MBA at Africa University between 2010 and 2011 where I was the best student and graduated with a First Class degree,” he said.

“It is then that I realised that I had been having selfish thoughts because I still felt I needed to prove a point. But I did not need to prove a point since God made me the best I am.”

He went on to release Jesu Anodadisa that year before he launched Magnet which announced the arrival of Mudiwa the rapper.

“The launch was attended by over 5 000 people and I sold 2 700 copies that day,” said Mudiwa.

The album earned him eight awards nominations and he bagged four of them.

On his relationship with Apostle Uebert Angel of Spirit Embassy the artist declared: “What he believes in is what I believe in”.

He says his association with Prophet Angel has however, affected his music as he is labelled under him.

“I have failed to perform at some churches because people have connotations they attach to me but I also have a dream to have all churches unite,” said the musician who is engaged to Karen Molly King an IMM student.

The confident musician has no apologies for singing the gospel of prosperity.

He quotes Proverbs 22 verses 6 and 7 which read: “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender”.

“When people preach they normally neglect verse 7 and they do not tell us that if we remain poor we will be trampled upon so we better be rich. What is wrong with a Christian dressing in expensive clothes proving that he is being blessed by God?” he quips.

“Do you think if Zimbabwe as a Christian dominated nation had money its citizens would entertain homosexuals who use money?

“This in no way implies that we have forgotten the tools of the devil. Of course people talk about my flamboyant videos and my boastfulness but that is positive confession of what God has done for me.”

17 Responses to Mudiwa, a preacher who happens to rap

1. pbee November 18, 2013 at 9:00 am #

Mudiwa wakasumudzwa na Prophet Angel. there are no connotations there, Major made u who u are today in Gospel music he even recorded it for u and launched it before his congregation to give u a head start. be grateful nothing is affecting u in fact for those people to get to know u it was Prophet Angel who put u out there and has supported u.

2. Luke November 18, 2013 at 9:24 am #

The popularity you have gotten Mudiwa is what I call derived popularity. You were and will never be popular till you decide to stay under someone. Just a fair warning the day you leave the person who made you that’s the day your eyes open up to the reality of who you really are and who took you up that tree..

3. Tee young November 18, 2013 at 9:27 am #

We had never heard of mudiwa until he was taken up by Prophet Angel. The album launch, the recording studio everything was done for you by prophet Angel. No proceeds went to the man who God used to make you who you are today. We all know of the guidance and nurturing of Prophet Angel over your life. Why can’t you acknowledge the truth in public. Your success in the music world is linked to you being under the wings of Prophet Angel. Don’t think you are too big now.

4. sonofemeritas November 18, 2013 at 10:26 am #

even the copies you say you sold, was it you or it was prophet Angel who sold them for you to his very own children… think twice

5. sonofemeritas November 18, 2013 at 10:28 am #

you are simply flying on prophet Angel’s wings try flying on your own and you will tumble to the ground were he took you…

6. Mhondoro November 18, 2013 at 11:02 am #

Mudiwa,the Bible puts it clearly that they defeated the dragon by word of their TESTIMONY;
    There’s a dragon of pride looming your way and the only weapon to destroy it is your true confession that you’re who you are because of the declarations and support from the prophet of God, Prophet Eubert Angel.Without his prayers and declarations over you life,you would still be in the closet and maybe ending up there,it is the man of God who unleashed you to the public popularity you’re basking .
    DO THE RIGHT THING MUDIWA!

7. Cde Chinodhuukadhuuka November 18, 2013 at 11:14 am #

Kuziva vanokusimudza kwakanaka saka iwe Mudiwa bata pangoponesa. We thank Prophet Angel for raising many musicians in this country.

8. Mudiwa Muhombe November 18, 2013 at 11:20 am #

Mufana rova mumhanzi zvekuti vakushevedza kuchechi kwavo kana kuti havana siyana nazvo. Ziva kuti une muporofita kudivi rwako anonzwa kuna Jehovha. Saka don’t worry muzaya.

9. Shato Nyoka November 18, 2013 at 11:45 am #

Ziva paugere, ona kwawakabva uye paumire. unodonha ukakanganwa

10. Precious November 18, 2013 at 11:47 am #

we thank God for your music and the way it is inspiring the youth. continue to spread the word and we thank God for Prophet Angel as he has made it possible for you and all the support he has given you. it doesnt matter what they say as long as u have done it for the almighty. people will always be people let that not affect you.

11. Matigimu November 18, 2013 at 11:50 am #

Huya tiridze ngoma iwe mudiwa. Pfonda unoiziva here? paridza Jesu mufana usadhiniwe nevakadhiniwa kare. Ramba uri pamuporofita naJesu tinohwina

12. Declan November 18, 2013 at 11:58 am #

We thank God for Prophet Angel. A generous giver. Mudiwa was brought on the scene by this man. He has benefited immensely from Prophet Angel. Akasimudzwa mukomana uyu. Those that don’t approve are refusing the spreading of the word of God. So they are fighting the work of God.

13. lance November 18, 2013 at 11:59 am #

Know who you are ,and were you come from. for sure if it was’nt for prophet angel where will you be. he is your promoter,do not allow people to seperate you because of ruvengo.

14. Queen November 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Aaaa ngaango chooser zvaanodaka mudiwa wacho. kutevedzera vanhu or to disconnect himself from prophet angel , tozoona kana zvake zvichiita.

15. mwanawemuporofita November 18, 2013 at 4:46 pm #

Mudiwa Prophet Angel helped you don’t take it for granted.Don’t allow people to push you your music career can be successful without them.they may not invite you to their churches but one thing they buy your music.i hope the media twisted your words you did not want it to come out as it looks

16. son of Major November 23, 2013 at 7:21 am #

brother mudiwa what l can say 2 u is phophet is our father nomatter what,jst thng zvavakakutiitira all thse chrchs dzanga dziripo rmbr (l lked e video u a my father)rmber zvakataurwa naphophet BUSHIRE.

17. Tats November 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm #

I honestly think you are all jealously of the man’s success . rejoice with him because God himself has blessed him by blessing Angel to be a a blessing to Mudiwa. So man up stop the crit and give God glory !!!!!!!!!!!!

© 2019 The Zimind. All Rights reserved.