INVESTIGATIONS into the Minister of Rural Housing and Social Amenities Emmerson Mnangagwa’s involvement in an alleged coup which led to the arrest o
f six men in June have hit a brick wall after it emerged this week that the police have not been able to come up with anything to substantiate the claims.
Superintendent Simon Mundondwa, the officer commanding Law and Order in Harare who is the investigating officer in the case, told a court while under cross examination that suggestions that Mnangagwa was linked to the coup have proved false as no evidence has been found to support the claims.
Charles Warara, the lawyer representing Albert Mutapo, Nyasha Zivuku, Oncemore Mudzurahona, Emmanuel Marara, Patson Mupfure and Shingirai Mutemachani, the six men accused of plotting the coup, said he knew the investigation of Mnangagwa would not yield anything as it was clear that his
clients were not planning a coup and did not have any link to Mnangagwa.
“It is not surprising that nothing has been found to link Mnangagwa to the alleged coup as my clients have repeatedly denied planning a coup or having any connection with the minister,” Warara said.
A court document made available to the Zimbabwe Independent reveals that the state, as part of its investigations, has made follow-ups on two new witnesses with one of them based at a military institution in Gweru.
“There has been some remarkable progress in the investigations in this case,” the court document says. “The investigating officer made a follow-up of two important witnesses with the intention of recording affidavit statements from them. The other witness is in a military institution in Gweru and he is yet to have his statement recorded.”
The state in their third supplementary response said they now have overwhelming evidence against the alleged coup plotters.
“From the level of investigations so far it has turned apparent that there is overwhelming evidence in this case. And that on its own will act as an incentive for these applicants to abscond and not stand trial…coupled with the fact that if convicted the charge faced by these applicants attracts a death sentence,” said the state’s response.
Warara however said the police are giving a lot of excuses to keep his clients in custody yet they are not bringing to court the evidence they claim to have.
“On Wednesday the police asked for three more weeks to conclude their investigations citing lack of resources yet they are saying they now have overwhelming evidence against my clients,” he said.
“They say this is a very serious case yet they have not been acting seriously about the case at all. It took them three weeks to finish paperwork on information from one witness,” added Warara.